Backplate setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollis is a solid brand. Looks like a great kit.

Pick you wing size properly! I have a Halcyon 30# wing, and with a negatively buoyant camera I wish I had another 5# of lift on the surface. I think 22# is way too small unless you're a petite person.

Good friend of mine just got an ST Elite about a month ago and really likes it. She's currently diving it in Mozambique.

I was about to purchase the same Hollis unit until I test dove the XT Lite BP with a TransPac harness, both from DiveRite. I found this combination very similar to the Hollis ST Elite unit, the DiveRite being slightly heavier.

The deciding factor for me was support: my local shop retails and services both DiveRite and Hollis, but turnaround time getting parts and support from DiveRite was much better. I also got some negative feedback about Hollis' support and quality when diving in Bonaire, which swayed my decision as well.

EDIT: something you may want to consider when going the BPW route is your preferred diving environment and style. If you don't need the additional weight and rigidity of a metal BP, consider a CF or fabric one. Example, I'm a tropical water travel diver, and prioritize having a very simple rig with no additional weighting (no belt, pockets, or ditch). The very slight additional weight of the metal BP is great for this, BUT the whole rig is heavier ($$ travel fees when packed).

You will definitely get a lot of opinions on SB about your BPW! My advice: buy only what you've been able to try out in the water and that you actually like.

Good luck!

New to backplate bcd's, and was wondering, is this a good option from my local dive shop? Holis ST Elite System. Thoughts, advice are welcomed. Thanks!
Holy moly that's expensive!

I'm sure it works but there are far less expensive options that work just as well. Sometimes less is more.

If I had to setup a backplate wing I'd probably look at dive gear express single tank setups. I think they're almost 1/2 price from what's linked above.

You can search around, reputable company with great reviews.

Good luck!

Wing size. If you plan mostly warm water diving with aluminum rental tanks and a maximum of a 3mm full suit and vest then the 22 pounds lift wing is fine and an 18 is great if they made one. I use both 18 Oxy and a 22 VDH wings. For temperate water diving and with a steel tank then a 30 pounds lift wing is perfect for a 5mm full suit and vest, even a 7mm.

Why does the suit matter? Because it compresses with depth so the buoyancy shift can be greater with thicker suits.

Why does it matter if aluminum or steel tanks? Aluminum tanks often predominate at warm water resort locations and rental fleets. They can go positive when near empty and are not very negative when full when compared to most modern steel tanks (the old 72 cf steels excluded). Steel tanks, especially the HP types can be quite negative even when near empty.

A 30 pounds lift wing a an excellent all around wing, not too big, not too little, just right for most divers. The DGX outfit is real nice. Maybe one day they will bring out an 18 or 22.

New to backplate bcd's, and was wondering, is this a good option from my local dive shop? Holis ST Elite System. Thoughts, advice are welcomed. Thanks!
Nice, but expensive. You can get basically the same thing for about 100 dollars cheaper (with adjustable straps like the linked one) in an Edge-HOG.

If you don't want adjustable straps, you can save a lot - regardless of which manufacturer you use. I have a few used BPWs and also Subgravity wings on my website (Subgravity is Utah-based, if you want to keep your money more local).

Reactions: Zef
I have a Hollis wing, bought it used here.
Works great, sturdy and does the job.
Only negative (not an issue for me) is the red color may fade.
If buyng new I would go DGX.

As will always be pointed out on SB, there are cheaper options and there are more expensive options but that’s a good set up and the fact that you have a good shot at having the shop help you get it adjusted and set up may be worth more than you can save elsewhere.

That is just so overpriced it's maddening. Many options that will do exactly the same thing for 1/2 the price. The buckles and clips on the harness are not necessary unless you have mobility issues with your shoulder(s). BPW's used to be made by hand in people's garages out of old ss plate or even street signs liberated from their poles.
The whole idea was too have a SIMPLE rig that would work in most any environment and not cost an arm and a leg.
A SS plate can be found for $100-125. There's $20 worth of hardware and $15 worth of webbing. I've got a 32lb HOG wing in like new condition I'd want $175 for plus shipping.
$300 with the soft plate HOG comfort harness and two steel buckle cam bands and 5lb weight pockets that could be moved to a steel plate in about 30 minutes if you've never done it before.
I could make the swap in half that time. You'd still be around half of that price for the Hollis.
Setting up a BPW is not hard and I have an 11 page essay on the style of rig with photos of how it should be adjusted.
At that price, what you are looking at is about 350 worth of materials, and the rest for the name, maybe getting it adjusted correctly, and not much else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom