Backplate setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Sub Gravity BP/W. Well made solid gear and great customer service.

Drive over to Draper and visit Dive Addicts. They are essentially co-located with Sub-gravity. You can compare the SG BP/wings against the Halcyon. I chose SG over the DGX gear because of color choices and I wanted to support the home team.

As will always be pointed out on SB, there are cheaper options and there are more expensive options but that’s a good set up and the fact that you have a good shot at having the shop help you get it adjusted and set up may be worth more than you can save elsewhere.
Idk man.. a shop charging that kind if coin to "help" set something up is not where I'd invest my money.

Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of name brand gear.. it's full of flashiness and marketing that I can live without. Also my wife says I'm a Grinch... so ba humbug!😂

Idk man.. a shop charging that kind if coin to "help" set something up is not where I'd invest my money.

Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of name brand gear.. it's full of flashiness and marketing that I can live without. Also my wife says I'm a Grinch... so ba humbug!😂
It’s pricy but not way out of line, the link is to the Huish site so I would expect a good discount. I’m nearly as cheap as you but the Hollis gear isn’t the worst.

p.s. If you can (op) easily go to Sub Gravity do that, I haven’t tried any of their stuff but it has good reports from those who have used it and the prices are not bad.

New to backplate bcd's, and was wondering, is this a good option from my local dive shop? Holis ST Elite System. Thoughts, advice are welcomed. Thanks!
I have the same harness but on a standard back plate and 45# and 60# wings for my doubles in cold water. I really like the buckles on the harness; my wife tore her shoulder trying to get of the "cooler" one continuous piece harness. I've also had shoulder issues so sometimes it's easier to just unbuckle, especially in my dry suit.

As other have pointed out that's a travel BCD with a Caribbean water sized wing and single tank. You need to determine the shape of the wing by if you plan to dive single our double tank.

Sam

As others have mentioned. Hollis sells solid gear however the price point is high. The DGX and SG rigs are better values if the sales price of the Hollis is list. Harnesses are a touchy subject on SB, with a clear preference for Hogarthian 1 piece harnesses. You can make a 1 piece harness adjustable with loops or sliders. But buy and dive what makes you happy.

As @Jim Lapenta mentioned, a BP/W is supposed to be reasonably priced. However, most of the large established dive companies are pricing them at or near the price of a high-end BC. They make a big deal about the harness and it will feel better in the dive shop but underwater it doesn't feel any different than a properly adjusted 1 piece harness.

One question is the support of your local dive store. If you are a traveling diver and you really don't use the store for anything but regulator service then I wouldn't feel bad purchasing somewhere else. If you use them for tanks and fills, other services and advice, and they're a good shop willing to bend on price then I would buy from them to keep up the relationship.

In short, the decision is yours and let us know what you decided.

I have the same harness but on a standard back plate and 45# and 60# wings for my doubles in cold water. I really like the buckles on the harness; my wife tore her shoulder trying to get of the "cooler" one continuous piece harness. I've also had shoulder issues so sometimes it's easier to just unbuckle, especially in my dry suit.

As other have pointed out that's a travel BCD with a Caribbean water sized wing and single tank. You need to determine the shape of the wing by if you plan to dive single our double tank.

Sam
Sorry about your wife's injury, I hope she recovered.

It can be a PITA to get out of a harness if it is not sized properly. It is best adjusted wearing exposure protection or at least something to simulate the exposure protection. Then checked in the water. The fit will usually need to be tweaked after a few dives because of the webbing breaking in.

You can add loops or sliders to the webbing of a 1 piece harness to make it adjustable.

As will always be pointed out on SB, there are cheaper options and there are more expensive options but that’s a good set up and the fact that you have a good shot at having the shop help you get it adjusted and set up may be worth more than you can save elsewhere.
They have been awesome!! Even let me dive their deep pool before I bought it.

That is just so overpriced it's maddening. Many options that will do exactly the same thing for 1/2 the price. The buckles and clips on the harness are not necessary unless you have mobility issues with your shoulder(s). BPW's used to be made by hand in people's garages out of old ss plate or even street signs liberated from their poles.
The whole idea was too have a SIMPLE rig that would work in most any environment and not cost an arm and a leg.
A SS plate can be found for $100-125. There's $20 worth of hardware and $15 worth of webbing. I've got a 32lb HOG wing in like new condition I'd want $175 for plus shipping.
$300 with the soft plate HOG comfort harness and two steel buckle cam bands and 5lb weight pockets that could be moved to a steel plate in about 30 minutes if you've never done it before.
I could make the swap in half that time. You'd still be around half of that price for the Hollis.
Setting up a BPW is not hard and I have an 11 page essay on the style of rig with photos of how it should be adjusted.
At that price, what you are looking at is about 350 worth of materials, and the rest for the name, maybe getting it adjusted correctly, and not much else.

I have learned that all the extra stuff on the harness is not necessary for me at all. The whole problem I guess is I have absolutely no experience with them and felt like I needed some help.. I did get it for 20 percent off retail, so that helped some, I do agree with you that it's overpriced.

I have learned that all the extra stuff on the harness is not necessary for me at all. The whole problem I guess is I have absolutely no experience with them and felt like I needed some help.. I did get it for 20 percent off retail, so that helped some, I do agree with you that it's overpriced.
Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy it.

For future reference, there are quite a few videos on YouTube that explain backplates and wings and how to assemble and adjust them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom