backplate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2:
So, if I order Fred's BP for mostly single-tank rec diving, will I need his STA as well?
And, will I need an aluminum for fresh and a steel for salt?
And, apparently there is some contention over the d-rings and "billy" rings he provides?

(sorry for speaking about you in the third person fred. lol. I appreciate your input here as well, but since I don't personally know you OR the gear, I need to hear the input of the other consumers who have experience with this gear.. your gear too.)

No problem. The answer to your questions is "it depends."
I dive an Al plate in both fresh and salt, but I use heavy steel tanks. What plate material (read "weight" here) you want depends on YOUR buoyancy requirements with the gear you'll normally use. If you haven't done so yet shoot me an e-mail address by PM, or simply send an e-mail to the address below and I'll forward you the info sheets an informaion on how to determine your buoyancy needs.

Wheither you need a STA or not depends on the wing you end up with, and the type of diving you do. Some prefer to use the STA even on so-called "STAless" wings for the increased ease in swapout and tighter system lock-up.

FT

cra2:
So, if I order Fred's BP for mostly single-tank rec diving, will I need his STA as well?
And, will I need an aluminum for fresh and a steel for salt?
And, apparently there is some contention over the d-rings and "billy" rings he provides?

Al or SS depends on what you're bouyancy reqrs are. If you're on a single tank you could probably benefit from the weight of an SS plate regardless of fresh or salt water (a typical SS plate is worth about 6 lbs off your weight belt and places it better up under the tank).

I would strongly recommend an STA. They are much easier to use than straps and are not wing dependant. You can also get them weighted if you need to take more weight off your waist.

If you're going to buy a harness why not just get one that has all the right stuff in all the right places right from the start. This would be easiest, otherwise just get on the many websites that describes how to make one and do it yourself.

Pat

PatH:
I would strongly recommend an STA. They are much easier to use than straps and are not wing dependant. You can also get them weighted if you need to take more weight off your waist.

less weight on my waist would be awesome.
right now I'm slugging around nearly 20lbs for saltwater, and it's not comfy. I think it's ridiculous.
But if you wind up putting all the weight on your BP system, how do you "ditch" in an emergency where you need to ensure that you're going to be positive even if you pass out on the way up?

"If you're going to buy a harness why not just get one that has all the right stuff in all the right places right from the start. This would be easiest, otherwise just get on the many websites that describes how to make one and do it yourself."

oh heck yeah.. I'm not going to even attempt to "DIY" until I'm VERY familiar with the set up and requirements. I definitely need one that's ready to go, out of the box, for my first BP. That really just means someone like FredT will have already woven the webbing through and put on the d-rings and buckle, right?

cra2:

Less weight on the waist is a good thing if it does not result
in too much weight above your center of balance.

cra2:
right now I'm slugging around nearly 20lbs for saltwater, and it's not comfy. I think it's ridiculous.
But if you wind up putting all the weight on your BP system, how do you "ditch" in an emergency where you need to ensure that you're going to be positive even if you pass out on the way up?

I would think you should be concerned about having enough ditchable weight that you can swim up your rig to the surface at or near the start of your dive. Not enough to end up in an uncontrolled ascent or fighting to stay down should you drop the weight. This concept of a "balanced rig" is covered on here and TDS quite a lot so check it out with a search.

If you are passed out your buddy should be there to manage the situation should it occur. If not you have the wrong buddy. I'm thinking being positive, alone, and passed out is well...bad to worse.

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong here.

cra2:
right now I'm slugging around nearly 20lbs for saltwater, and it's not comfy. I think it's ridiculous. But if you wind up putting all the weight on your BP system, how do you "ditch" in an emergency?

That really just means someone like FredT will have already woven the webbing through and put on the d-rings and buckle, right?

See the comments about balanced rig. Achieving a balanced rig should not be hard in a wetsuit with a single tank. 6 lbs in the plate, 6 lbs in a weighted STA, would still leave 8 around your waist. Do the calcs, but I bet that would still be lots of ditchable weight. Trim is critical with weight, but I bet you would find the SS and STA beneficial. Any friends or friendly shops that can loan you one to try?

The rig... I don't know FredT... I can only assume he can run you a DIR rig if you ask... otherwise just go buy the Halcyon rig. Great company, they guarantee everything.

PatH:
The rig... I don't know FredT... I can only assume he can run you a DIR rig if you ask... otherwise just go buy the Halcyon rig. Great company, they guarantee everything.

You'll open a can-o-worms with the DIR comment.

I'll vouch for Fred's plates, etc.

Any BP can be DIR provided it has a one-piece harness with the appropriate number of correctly placed and configured D-rings along with a correctly configured crotch strap and the correctly set up wing.

At that point you have a correctly configured BP but that alone does not make you DIR.

G_M

Green_Manelishi:
You'll open a can-o-worms with the DIR comment.

I'll vouch for Fred's plates, etc.

Any BP can be DIR provided it has a one-piece harness with the appropriate number of correctly placed and configured D-rings along with a correctly configured crotch strap and the correctly set up wing.

At that point you have a correctly configured BP but that alone does not make you DIR.

G_M

Completely concur about the ability to turn any decent BP into a DIR compliant rig. My comment was addressing the desireability to "rig it yourself" versus just buying a properly configured BP/harness off the shelf. I rig my own, but have been doing it for years. For someone starting out it is likely much easier and less prone to mistakes to just buy a properly strung and equipped harness. If you want to DIY there are several good websites that give the specs.

That will make the equipment DIR... what makes a diver DIR?.. ah... the $1M question! :)

PatH:
Completely concur about the ability to turn any decent BP into a DIR compliant rig. My comment was addressing the desireability to "rig it yourself" versus just buying a properly configured BP/harness off the shelf. I rig my own, but have been doing it for years. For someone starting out it is likely much easier and less prone to mistakes to just buy a properly strung and equipped harness. If you want to DIY there are several good websites that give the specs.

That will make the equipment DIR... what makes a diver DIR?.. ah... the $1M question! :)

"Just starting out" divers owe it to themselves to find a mentor that uses a BP. Buy the individual pieces (webbing, keepers, rings, etc.) and then spend the time threading the harness, etc. If a guy (or girl) can't do even that simple task they need to reconsider buying a plate.

Green_Manelishi:
"Just starting out" divers owe it to themselves to find a mentor that uses a BP. Buy the individual pieces (webbing, keepers, rings, etc.) and then spend the time threading the harness, etc. If a guy (or girl) can't do even that simple task they need to reconsider buying a plate.

Mentors are always great. Not sure I follow the logic about building the harness... whatever, no worries.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom