backplate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
Does a BP/W rig always cost less than a Jacket BC - Of course not.

really?
shows how little I know. lol.
I'd assume a metal plate/strap + a wing were ALWAYS gonna be cheaper than those jackets with hoses and weight systems and plastic buckles and pouches and attachments and on and on...

"I'm trying to understand the specific question. Looks like you're searching for names and models of BP/W rigs?"

yeppers. not just a cattle-call of names though.
you guys know which ones are over-priced, or low-quality, or too-tek for my little recreational a$$. So, I was hoping that would trim down the list and steer me right towards the few models that are applicable.

"You'll get the usual suspects, Halcyon, Oxycheq, FredT and a host of others."

heard Halcyon mentioned. never heard of the others.

bcsean:
to be totally honest, go shopping around, try what you can, and see what you like....whatever other gear you're interested in, and go try the stuff. Reading about it is all well and good, but ultimately you gotta try it to determine if it really works for you.

wish I could.
the local shops I've been to don't carry the brands you guys are mentioning. And on top of that, they don't let you rent anything but their generic jacket BCs.
I don't know HOW they make any sales without letting you "try it before you buy it", but somehow they stay in business.

that's why I was asking on here.
I doubt I'll be ABLE to "shop around and try different stuff out", so if you guys can point to a simple, hard-core, cost-effective, safe, efficient setup, then maybe I'll be able to hunt around online for someone who carries it in my STATE.. or just cross my fingers & buy it online.

NWGratefulDiver:
ChrisM - not all plates are alike. I own a FredT and a DiveRite, and about the only similarity is that they're both metal and roughly shaped the same. For example, put a FredT, Koplin, and Halcyon plate wing-on-wing and you'll notice significant differences in the channel depth. When you mount it for singles, it matters.

More than likely, most of my rec diving would be with singles.
When you refer to channel depth being a factor, what exactly are you talking about? I have been told NOT to do the BP/Wings setup because "the plates are not made for singles and you'll have to buy an adapter and/or the single will stuck up high in the middle put you off-balance easily."

cra2:
More than likely, most of my rec diving would be with singles.
When you refer to channel depth being a factor, what exactly are you talking about? I have been told NOT to do the BP/Wings setup because "the plates are not made for singles and you'll have to buy an adapter and/or the single will stuck up high in the middle put you off-balance easily."

Plates are fine for singles or doubles ... whoever told you that plates will make you unstable simply don't know what they're talking about. Truth is I feel far more stable in a plate than I ever did in a BCD, and I've only, so far, used mine for singles.

Whether or not you need a single-tank adapter will depend on both the wing you choose and the plate you choose. Some plates have slots cut into them to accommodate tank straps ... others do not. If you choose a plate with strap slots, and you don't want to use an STA, you'll still need a way to stabilize the cylinder. Halcyon builds a wing that has metal rods built in for this purpose. I don't know of any other wing that comes with this feature.

The channel is the center portion of a plate. If you look at a plate, it is shaped to accommodate your back. Running vertically down the center is a recessed "channel". This part of the plate is recessed to accommodate the screws that hold the backplate and wing together (and single-tank adapter if you're using one). The shape of the plate and depth of the channel does vary from one manufacturer to another. What that really means, to the single-tank user, is that you have to pay attention to the type of single-tank adapter you use for the rig you are putting together.

The backplate/wing system is very modular ... you can basically mix and match plate, wing, and STA from any manufacturer. If you're planning to dive singles, you'll want a wing that's "donut" shaped. Halcyon, Oxycheq, and DiveRite build such wings. Others may, but those are the ones I have used and can recommend. Doubles wings are more horseshoe shaped, and are wider to accommodate two cylinders. Avoid purchasing a wing that claims to be good for both ... as it order to accommodate both they need to design the wing with compromises that make it ideal for neither.

Harnesses also vary quite a lot. The traditional harness is a single piece of 2" webbing that runs through slots to comprise the shoulder and waist straps. This is the style of harness DIR requires. Non-DIR harnesses run in a variety of configurations ... the most popular being a three-piece harness (like the one shown in the link provided previously in this thread) that function more like a traditional BCD harness. These are not DIR compliant. They have some advantages in terms of convenience and comfort, but the tradeoff is increased cost and complexity.

Some harnesses accommodate integrated weight systems, others do not.

Hope that helps clarify ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No intent to intrude where I shouldn't. I'm new to the forums, was unaware about the "DIR" forum rule. I just search under new posts and have not paid sufficent attention to what forum I'm in.

If forums are about education I do have question: What is non dir about our inflator hose and over pressure valve other than the easily removes plastic knob on the string of the rear dump? There is no pull type rapid exhaust on the inflator hose, just an elbow. These are common parts used on many many BC's and "Tech Type" wings.

well, for me, choosing a wing, it was between oxycheq and halcyon. I went with oxycheq because one became available online and I bought it. As for a backplate, I went with FredT, because he has XL plates, and being 6'-3" I wanted a plate that would fit me well, and have no regrets for doing so. I will probably be replacing the D-rings that came with the kit with standard d-rings and tri-glides. I also chose to go with a heavy STA, from FredT to attempt to get weight off the hips.

as long as you stick to the basic principles, for single tank diving, you'll be fine. one piece harness, donut wing..... Good luck.

cool_hardware52:
No intent to intrude where I shouldn't. I'm new to the forums, was unaware about the "DIR" forum rule. I just search under new posts and have not paid sufficent attention to what forum I'm in.

If forums are about education I do have question: What is non dir about our inflator hose and over pressure valve other than the easily removes plastic knob on the string of the rear dump? There is no pull type rapid exhaust on the inflator hose, just an elbow. These are common parts used on many many BC's and "Tech Type" wings.

Your inflator hoses look really, really long. Your harness are not 1-piece, you may sell nice gear but it ain't DIR.

ChrisM - not all plates are alike. I own a FredT and a DiveRite, and about the only similarity is that they're both metal and roughly shaped the same. For example, put a FredT, Koplin, and Halcyon plate wing-on-wing and you'll notice significant differences in the channel depth. When you mount it for singles, it matters. Personal preferences apply, of course ... but if you're used to diving one, diving another will take a little getting used to. Been there, done that.

Could be, but Fred's and Halcyon's must be pretty similar, I have one of each, and other than the material, I don't notice any differences.

Re: D rings - the ones I got from FredT circa 2001 have square edges, versus the rounded ones I get locally. I find it easier to clip off on a rounded d ring than a square-edged one. And Fred's billy (?) rings are bent 90 degrees, entanglement hazard here in the kelp (and elsewhere, I assume), as opposed to the slightly bent ones. Again, this was 2001, maybe he uses different ones now.

On the other hand, FredT's 2 piece STA, mixed with SP metal cinch straps ROCKS!!! I love that sta

YMMV, MHO, etc etc

chris

NWGratefulDiver:
Plates are fine for singles or doubles ... whoever told you that plates will make you unstable simply don't know what they're talking about.

no no, I think they were referring to the STAs that push a tank out away from the body as being higher profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom