backplate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcsean:
I went with FredT, because he has XL plates, and being 6'-3" I wanted a plate that would fit me well, and have no regrets for doing so.

ahh, I'm 6'4".. hadn't even considered that being a factor yet.
thnx

cra2:
ahh, I'm 6'4".. hadn't even considered that being a factor yet.
thnx

I'm 6'4" and I don't consider that a factor.

So far I have been able to operate just fine in a plain old standard plate with a single continuous piece of webbing.

I even managed to pass a course or two in it and do a good number of dives since without breaking my ribs or constricting my diaphraghm or any of the number of other reasons associated with "short" plates.

I even find it quite comfortable.

To each their own as long as everyone is identical. Another glass of Kool Aid? :D

cra2:
no no, I think they were referring to the STAs that push a tank out away from the body as being higher profile.

Again, not an issue. I have found that it's wise to get an STA that's designed for the plate you purchase. For example, my DiveRite STA works on my FredT plate, but it's not optimal. The reason gets back to those differences in channel depth I was referring to earlier.

If you go with a FredT plate, order a FredT STA. It won't produce any of the instability you are referring to.

And, FWIW, Fred will send you some very good literature on how to determine what length plate you need.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ChrisM:
Re: D rings - the ones I got from FredT circa 2001 have square edges, versus the rounded ones I get locally. I find it easier to clip off on a rounded d ring than a square-edged one. And Fred's billy (?) rings are bent 90 degrees, entanglement hazard here in the kelp (and elsewhere, I assume), as opposed to the slightly bent ones. Again, this was 2001, maybe he uses different ones now.

The flat section rings are stronger than the round ones, and there is now a deep D available on special order. The billy's are standard bent to 45° or 90°, but can be bent to any requested angle on a special order. If you need to swap out your billys let me know.

FT

I have a SS backplate with one piece webbing and a DiveRite Trek wing ( http://www.dive-rite.com/products/bcd/cells.htm#Trek ) and have never had any problems at all and the package seems bullet proof to me. I also made up a harness with a chest strap, similar to this DiveRite one( http://www.dive-rite.com/products/bcd/bkplt_harn.htm ) Using a couple of D rings at the chest where the webbing joins and going to the local shoe repair shop to get it sown up (they have the heavy duty sowing machines you need to sow the webbing!) But have gone back to the simple Horgarthian setup for no other reason than that I felt like it and it is simpler.

And I do not use a STA. I have 2 cam straps and once done up the tank does not move and feels as if it is part of the backplate, I used to have one but wehn i got the new wing it did not fit properly (it was a homemade item from a section of aluminium channel) and was slightly too long. Didn't want to miss out on the dive so tried without it and found no reason to ever go back.

One thing to remember with any new system is that it will take a few dives to get used, especially if you are new to diving and still learning general diving techniques. Most important is to go diving regularly so everything becomes second nature and you feel at one with your equipment.

What I personally like about the systems is the simplicity. While my setup is not really DIR compliant, I do agree the DIR philosphy of keeping everything simple and suited to the purpose.

CRA2,
I'm not NEARLY as advanced as the other members who have been conversing with you, but in my limited experience I say "GO WITH IT" with respect to the BP/W set up.

When I started diving I was trained in the jacket style BC. I knew from the outset that I did not like the jacket configuration. I eventually bought a Zeagle based upon its back inflation configuration and apparent strength of construction. I find this BC to be extremely comfortable, a BC in which it is easy to work, and adaptable to different diving situations.

HOWEVER ! ! ! !

After joining this board and reading all of the posts that contained a DIR sort of flavor, I decided to try the BP/W set up.
Fortunately, where I work I have access to various manufacturing machines, to include a metal cutting laser, CNC brake press, milling machines, drill presses, etc.

I "borrowed" some measurements from a back plate from a well known manufacturer and made my own BP with certain refinements to fit my personal body shape. I purchased some 2" webbing from Home Depot, bought an OMS 32# single tank bladder, D-rings and a few other components and now have an excellent BP/W setup.

If I "loved" my Zeagle, I "worship" the BP/W setup. One of the things you will find about the BP/W setup is that there is no restriction to breathing at all. The system is simple, effective, easy to modify, easy to maintain, extremely safe and damned near bullet proof.

Now I must qualify my statement above by stating that I have only 18 dives on the rig since I've put it together and all of those were make in one week while on vacation last week.

Most of the scuba gear, especially when it comes to BC's, is sold on gimmicry and visual impact, not functionality.

Get a BP/W, strap it on and you can feel its strength and functionality.

If anything goes wrong with it you can fix it yourself and not be at the mercy of the LDS.

In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with the BP/W configuration.

Safe diving.

cool_hardware52:
Dear CRA2,

If you are in the maret for a BP/W please consider our gear. Keep in mind that there is no reason our plate can't be rigged with a Hogarthian harness. Our wings offer some real advantages, and with the simple removal of the plastic pull on the over pressure valve, they are "DIR" compliant.

Regards,

ch
Well, I must agree with a few of the others here, you do have some BIG balls for peddling your wares here. I like the grommets that prevent web chaffing. Great item! But that harness has to go. All those plastic t hings to hang up and break, not for me. The plate is obviously a quality item although I haven't had the opportunity to inspect one in person yet. I have parts waterjet cut alot in my business and I',m not real impressed with the edge quality if left alone. It's certainly not for nylon webbing to be pulled thru or anything 'soft' to be subjected to...but if you've done your after cutting homework and it seems you did, the burnishing process will no doubt releive those sharp edges and the grommet will take care of the web slots, etc. I really like the larger holes! Right on. OI had to take my plate and drill out the damn things for my snaps and bolts. What a PITA. but overall, with no comment on the construction of the wing itself, I'm going to give you a thumbs up on the deal.
How's that for sticking my foot in it?
db :wink:

marco:
I have a SS backplate with one piece webbing

you don't have two plates (one al and one ss), like the rest seem to be saying?

"I also made up a harness with a chest strap,"

what prompted you to do this if you already had the one-piece webbing?

"And I do not use a STA. I have 2 cam straps and once done up the tank does not move and feels as if it is part of the backplate,"

hrmm, I'm too new to this. do you have a picture?
I can't visualize 2 cam straps in place of a STA.
Either way, you're saying your set up works fine and the STA is not necessary?

Well you guys have been more than helpful... and completely confused me. lol.
No, just kidding. It's just alot to soak in and a lot to read up on.

It looks like the general consensus is that for a newbie like me who's not doing anything more than AOW rec diving, I'm not going to know the difference between plate A or plate B until I just buy one and start diving.

And since they're essentially the same - and you guys seem to have confidence in FredT's - I'm getting the impression his are going to be just as effective, yet less expensive than those BPs made by the bigger companies?

So, if I order Fred's BP for mostly single-tank rec diving, will I need his STA as well?
And, will I need an aluminum for fresh and a steel for salt?
And, apparently there is some contention over the d-rings and "billy" rings he provides?

(sorry for speaking about you in the third person fred. lol. I appreciate your input here as well, but since I don't personally know you OR the gear, I need to hear the input of the other consumers who have experience with this gear.. your gear too.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom