Backplate and Wing Questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know unless its on a computer or I write it down I will forget. I remember talking about all this stuff, just didnt have the sites. Thanks for the info.

umm.. sherm.. you forgot one :wink:

Products

as for BP's.. the DSS design works the best for me..
the rubber corner grommets protect their extra durable hog harness.

I've got a DSS stainles plate and Torus 26 single wing. It's my first bp/w setup.

Here is what I like about it so far: the wing does not protrude past my body (this is nice when I'm NOT :wink: going through lava tubes), the short inflator hose stays put and does not get in the way, the plate is heavy enough that I don't need additional ballast when wearing a 3mm wetsuit, and the plate does not need an STA to use with singles. Last weekend I found out that the plate also works really well with double 80s and an Halcyon wing. Also, the rubberized slots for the harness are killer.

What I don't care for, that I thought was a good idea at the time, is the lack of a zipper to get at the bladder. If it needs to be repaired (beware of pinch flats, don't store the wing attached to the plate) it has to be sent in to have the whole bladder replaced. That being said, I'm not so worried about it because I'll hopefully be moving to a doubles wing and the single wing won't see much action after that.

As far as a double wing goes...I too am talking to sherman.

If you'd like to borrow it to try out just send me a pm, although it's busy this weekend.

Matt

I've got a DSS stainles plate and Torus 26 single wing. It's my first bp/w setup.

Here is what I like about it so far: the wing does not protrude past my body (this is nice when I'm NOT :wink: going through lava tubes), the short inflator hose stays put and does not get in the way, the plate is heavy enough that I don't need additional ballast when wearing a 3mm wetsuit, and the plate does not need an STA to use with singles. Last weekend I found out that the plate also works really well with double 80s and an Halcyon wing. Also, the rubberized slots for the harness are killer.

What I don't care for, that I thought was a good idea at the time, is the lack of a zipper to get at the bladder. If it needs to be repaired (beware of pinch flats, don't store the wing attached to the plate) it has to be sent in to have the whole bladder replaced. That being said, I'm not so worried about it because I'll hopefully be moving to a doubles wing and the single wing won't see much action after that.

As far as a double wing goes...I too am talking to sherman.

If you'd like to borrow it to try out just send me a pm, although it's busy this weekend.

Matt

Matt,

Most divers in my experience don't have the necessary wrenches or experience to change a bladder. That means the wing is returned to us whether or not it has a zipper. The combination of true 1050 ballistic nylon outer shells and 22 mil inner bladders means very few Torus wings require bladder replacement.

If a field replaceable bladder is important to you we do make, narrow, streamlined wings with zippers. All of our LCD wings have a zipper in the top arc.

Tobin

hey all, thanks for the info. its been really helpful. Any other info would be great.

I told you it was a great tank I am just to lazy to clean it. Besides when you come back from sea and you have fish skeletons floating around and your 2 fish short, its time to let it go. Glad to see you guys are enjoying it and thank you for taking it off my hands.

Well seeing how I am buying a new rig, I was thinking of keeping the one I have but I would rather cut the cost of the new rig. If you wanna buy it PM me. Its an Oceanic BCD Excursion. Great BC just too big for me. Its in great shape. I did like 40 something dives on it and that is it. Want pictures or anything like email me at munclematt@mac.com or shoot me a PM. Thanks all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom