DIR- Generic Backplate and wing in an emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In training, it would be best to remove the harness by unbuckling it to see how easy or hard it will be to get the "victim" out of the harness in a rescue class. Instructors never know how that will go. In some classes, it will come right off. In other classes, the harness might not clear a drysuit shoulder dump.

In real life, cutting it will be the path of least resistance.

Whenever I taught a rescue class the final scenario was always me being located (usually partially wedged in a doorway to a bus or boat in a BPW with wing fully inflated. They had to bring me to the surface tow me to shore (forget the damn ineffective in water rescue breaths because it just delays proper CPR) and cut the harness off. I always had a rig set up to be cut off just to show how much faster it is. 12 bucks worth of webbing was worth what it taught.
In real life I'd cut any BC off if I thought it would be faster. BC can be replaced.
And no Marcel Marceau on Quaaludes BS movements. Real time, real life, get them up safely, get them to shore fast safely, and get them out of the water fast to effective surface safely. Usually while I had a "distressed family member or buddy" urging them to hurry up. With me counting down the seconds to brain damage setting in as they towed.

Whenever I taught a rescue class the final scenario was always me being located (usually partially wedged in a doorway to a bus or boat in a BPW with wing fully inflated. They had to bring me to the surface tow me to shore (forget the damn ineffective in water rescue breaths because it just delays proper CPR) and cut the harness off. I always had a rig set up to be cut off just to show how much faster it is. 12 bucks worth of webbing was worth what it taught.
In real life I'd cut any BC off if I thought it would be faster. BC can be replaced.
And no Marcel Marceau on Quaaludes BS movements. Real time, real life, get them up safely, get them to shore fast safely, and get them out of the water fast to effective surface safely. Usually while I had a "distressed family member or buddy" urging them to hurry up. With me counting down the seconds to brain damage setting in as they towed.
That was a good idea, Jim. I wish I thought of a second harness.

I used to switch out a glove for a Halloween mangled hand glove, and scream, "A shark bit me! I had to blow off my deco!" Then, I'd go unconscious and see if they treated the hand as they treated the DCS. I also told them forget the rescue breaths. You aren't getting anything accomplished in the water.

Then, you get to the hospital after all of the rapid first response, and they take hours to give you an O2 mask or get you to a chamber.

Cutting the harness is pretty extreme. You risk cutting the victim or yourself and unless you have a tool specific to the job. It probably takes longer than just unbuckling the harness. I feel like anyone recommending this method just doesn’t have real-world experience.

Cutting the harness is pretty extreme. You risk cutting the victim or yourself and unless you have a tool specific to the job. It probably takes longer than just unbuckling the harness. I feel like anyone recommending this method just doesn’t have real-world experience.
One piece harnesses don’t have shoulder strap buckles and a trilobite or similar cutter is made for this scenario.

It seems as though you only know and carry a BFK... it is advisable for anyone diving to have a non knife cutting device, especially those in a webbing harness. I carry a medium BFK on my calf and a trilobite on my waist belt. When cutting near an appendage use something that is almost impossible to cut the person. Good luck getting anything vital in the cutting path of a trilobite.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220913_062205.jpg
    Screenshot_20220913_062205.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 42
It’s the go to solution for one piece harnesses, there is no buckle on them for the shoulders and arms and it will not slide off either.

IME, sliding the hand next to the hip will easily remove the strap. Even for those BCs with buckles, I found doing so to be quicker than trying to find the black-on-black clip in rough water and thick gloves. Self-demonstration: at 0:59. ETA: Cutting is always a better option than struggling with it, though.

I’ve been diving a BP&W for 20 years, thank you.

I carry shears, but for cutting line (cave or fishing), not for any far out scenarios of cutting people out of gear for no reason, especially in a class.

This thinking was common 10 years ago among the BP&W haters trying to find some reason to hate something different. Can’t count how many snide comments there were about, “having to cut someone outta that thing” as though it was unsafe.

So, I guess we’ve come full circle again…

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom