DIR- Generic Backplate and wing in an emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During an in water emergency, how do you quickly remove a backplate and wing from your dive buddy? Let’s assume your buddy is unconscious .

During an in water emergency, how do you quickly remove a backplate and wing from your dive buddy? Let’s assume your buddy is unconscious .
If you're buddy is unconscious, you don't remove his bpw, you bring him to the surface as quickly and safely as possible.

Why would you want to remove his bpw? I can't think of a scenario where I would want to do it...

Why would you want to remove his bpw? I can't think of a scenario where I would want to do it...
Unconscious on the surface and you need to move him onto boat

Unconscious on the surface and you need to move him onto boat
[Sure, but that wouldn't be an in-water emergency, it would be an out-of-the-water one, right?] Edit: sorry I misunderstood your answer... Ok I get it :)

But I think I would first try to undress him, and only after to cut... Wouldn't it work?

Doesn't it unbuckle let every other BCD? Mine does....one around the waist and one in front of the chest.

As opposed to unbuckling it?
A lot BPW's don't have buckles except for the quick release on the waist. Some with the 'deluxe' or 'comfort' setup might but the quickest way is to use a webbing cutter or a knife.

12842491.jpg
img_6582.jpg

As opposed to unbuckling it?

This is a DIR forum, a standard DIR harness only has a single buckle at the waist, no shoulder buckle. So you cant just "unbuckle" the diver from their harness.

You get the diver to the surface, inflate the wing, get them to the boat/beach/exit, then slice the harness, easy peasy, they are out of the harness and on their way to the ER.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom