DIR- Generic Backplate and wing in an emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During an in water emergency, how do you quickly remove a backplate and wing from your dive buddy? Let’s assume your buddy is unconscious .

I did my rescue class (non-GUE but taught by 2 former GUE instructors) where everyone was in a Bp/w and doubles with can lights. We simply unbuckled and removed the rig from the diver. Honestly, the trickiest part was remembering to deflate the wing slightly and remove the necklace. Under simulated scenarios, I could do it in 15 seconds. In an emergency, I am sure it would take me longer but I wouldn’t hesitate to cut the harness if needed.

Really? Can't unbuckle it?
Uncoil primary hose, remove necklace, disconnnect drysuit inflator if diving in drysuit, unbuckle and unthread waist harness. Pull apart shoulder harness and chance is diver and rig will separate on their own. If not, pull the harness down diver's arms and that's it. We are not talking about rocket science here.

[Sure, but that wouldn't be an in-water emergency, it would be an out-of-the-water one, right?] Edit: sorry I misunderstood your answer... Ok I get it :)

But I think I would first try to undress him, and only after to cut... Wouldn't it work?
If he’s wearing a drysuit it may be easier to close his dump valve put some air and cut his harness to get him on the boat?

If he’s wearing a drysuit it may be easier to close his dump valve put some air and cut him to get him on the boat?
keep it simple in an emergency; with the drysuit and without the bpw the victim is probably buoyant already, and coming from the dive there will be some residual air inside the suit sufficient to allow basic movements like moving the arms to remove the harness... at least, this is what I would do

keep it simple in an emergency; with the drysuit and without the bpw the victim is probably buoyant already, and coming from the dive there will be some residual air inside the suit sufficient to allow basic movements like moving the arms to remove the harness... at least, this is what I would do
I don’t know, I can’t see a disadvantage of cutting a harness, it will always work.

But I have a bias as I was taught to cut the harness and I always carry a cutting tool that can cut one.

Everything is a nail if your only tool is a hammer.
While I would cut the harness in the end, it takes maybe 10 seconds to try and preserve it

Everything is a nail if your only tool is a hammer.
While I would cut the harness in the end, it takes maybe 10 seconds to try and preserve it
There is a reason I’d do it, it’s because it does not require me to think since it was how it was trained, therefore it will reduce the chance of me getting confused or making a mistake.

If I am in an emergency, do whatever but please don’t worry about my webbing, I have a spare and don’t mind buying a new one.

Slipping someone out of a harness in a controlled environment is one thing.

It’s something else entirely when there’s waves, confusion, they can’t protect their airway, deco bottles, etc.

Cut that ****.

I recently took my rescue diver course and was taught to unbuckle BCDs and cut a backplate harness when removing a diver from the water. Can anyone tell me what DIR stands for, BTW? Do it right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom