DIR- Generic Backplate and wing in an emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently took my rescue diver course and was taught to unbuckle BCDs and cut a backplate harness when removing a diver from the water. Can anyone tell me what DIR stands for, BTW? Do it right?
"DIR" was a term that described the kind of diving that GUE and UTD teach. It was originally an acronym for "Doing It Right," but you will no longer find either "Doing It Right" or "DIR" in GUE's materials.

I recently took my rescue diver course and was taught to unbuckle BCDs and cut a backplate harness when removing a diver from the water. Can anyone tell me what DIR stands for, BTW? Do it right?
This is why I’m going to take rescue in a buckled harness or BCD, so I won’t have to reset a cut one piece harness partly through the course.

This is why I’m going to take rescue in a buckled harness or BCD, so I won’t have to reset a cut one piece harness partly through the course.

I can’t tell if you are joking :)

You can put a loop onto a one piece harness which works well, is strong, reliable and unobtrusive. It works well if you need to climb out of he harness on the surface if, for example, you’re diving off a RIB. However, it depends on how you view DIR dogma.

Some photos in this post:

I can’t tell if you are joking :)
Not a joke, as a potential instructor mentioned that cutting the harness was what he instructs students to do in this scenario, while looking at my one piece harness, since it’s the best one to do in a real rescue. I’ve since changed the harness to an H harness with buckles. It also makes it easier to don and doff in my drysuit, and especially so when I forget to route the drysuit inflator hose.

Not a joke, as a potential instructor mentioned that cutting the harness was what he instructs students to do in this scenario, while looking at my one piece harness, since it’s the best one to do in a real rescue. I’ve since changed the harness to an H harness with buckles. It also makes it easier to don and doff in my drysuit, and especially so when I forget to route the drysuit inflator hose.
In the classes I took they didn’t make me cut the harness for real. Although the instructor brought a piece of harness to cut so people would get to practice on it.

If I am diving doubles and put the harness without checking where my drysuit hose is then, I can usually grab it from the first stage if I cannot reach it from the sides. For me it works better with doubles because my first stage is more accessible.

Two thoughts on this...

1. Having "handles" and grab points on a body you are trying to move is super helpful. Yeah, the extra weight sucks, but bodies are slippery and you are probably better off having something to grab until they are in the boat.

2. If it is really in the way, cut that stuff. As an EMS provider we are probably going to make them "Trauma naked" before they hit the hospital.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom