Question Backplate and D rings from AliExpress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm back to diving after many year of taking a break.

I plan to do mostly recreational diving, and in the future take a tech course.
I what to buy my own backplate BCD, and my friend (MD) told me to buy the backplate, STA, D rings and webbing from AliExpress, and choose any bladder.
While I was thinking of Halcyon infinity.

I don't mind to build the system, what I'm afraid of is the quality.

What do you thing, what problems may I have with Aluminum backplate from Ali?

Maybe I forget to take more things in mind?

Thanks,
Mark

I'm back to diving after many year of taking a break.

I plan to do mostly recreational diving, and in the future take a tech course.
I what to buy my own backplate BCD, and my friend (MD) told me to buy the backplate, STA, D rings and webbing from AliExpress, and choose any bladder.
While I was thinking of Halcyon infinity.

I don't mind to build the system, what I'm afraid of is the quality.

What do you thing, what problems may I have with Aluminum backplate from Ali?

Maybe I forget to take more things in mind?

Thanks,
Mark
A backplate is a backplate. Some of the lesser "quality" plates made need burs or sharp edges removed from the slots with a file. Not a big deal.

By used and save even more $$

the cheap plates on aliexpress don't hold up as well cosmetically. mainly the finishing with the aforementioned roughness but also surface polish or anodization coating. the steel is some mediocre 304 at best or even 18-8 so they don't hold up as well in the salt as 316. the springs are especially an issue for boltsnaps off aliexpress.

if you need to save a few bucks, look for a used plate and DIY the harness off webbing and hardware from DGX instead to pair with their s1 wing. that should keep it under 300 altogether.

Hardware from Ali-Express may do the job, and I've used some for various roles. The one thing I'd probably avoid buying from unknown manufacturers, is the wing.

DiveGearExpress and Piranha. are where I usually prefer to get most hardware like D-rings and bolt-snaps. The quality is generally better and far more reliable, whereas if you get something from ebay or aliexpress, you have to hope the item advertised as "stainless steel" actually is stainless steel. Piranha also has a lot of "custom" hardware, though that's probably not something you need to be buying just yet.

For webbing, the DGX webbing is probably one of your more reliable options. You can also just get (generic) webbing, however, the main thing to beware is you want it to be an appropriate stiffness. Too stiff and it's like wearing sandpaper. Too soft it will fold and collapse on you in annoying ways (which I have experienced). That said, I've had success with this webbing.

choose any bladder.
Setting aside quality for a moment. I'd recommend you get a wing designed for a single-tank, no more than 40lbs of lift maximum. If you get a wing that's too big, it'll have more issues with drag, air-trapping, and various other annoyances that will mess with your buoyancy & trim. Also stay away from "bungied wings", because those are usually attempts to be both a single and a double wing which just doesn't work nearly as well. If you ever do decide to dive doubles, you'll want to just get a 2nd wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom