Backpacking with all diving gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As of December I will be in Thailand where I'm going to travel a bit, do as much fun diving as I can afford & also do a DiveMaster internship (most likely on Koh Lanta) & a Videography course (most likely on Koh Tao). All this will take +- 5-6months, so I need to bring all my own diving gear + laptop, camera, housing and all the other stuff a backpacker would need in Thailand.
My max luggage is 30kg incl carry-on.

My plan was to stuff everything in my dive-bag which is very bulky but not so sturdy. It looks more like a sportsbag & it's not practical at all to carry around.

Ofcourse I would put the most sensitive/expensive itmes in my carry-on bag.
What's your advice on this? Should I try to squeeze everything in my normal 70l backpak? This seems just about impossible to me?

All tips are most welcome!

Ive packed for a week in a 30L bag with clothes, mask, snorkel, reg, dive computer and compact underwater camera (no strobes). My iPhone and iPad (both unlocked) have replaced my laptop so they made it in the bag too. It seems like going up to 70L should be fairly simple with the right planning.

Well, I'm probably bringing a bit more stuff on a 6 months trip than just my diving gear... Hence my question :wink:

Do you use a BC or BP/W? The BP would take up less volume.

Do you have to carry any food? On my two week inland trips I can get by with a 6.5 Litre, but obviously that has no dive kit. Food takes up a bunch of space.

Is you sleeping bag down or synthetic? Down is far more compressible.

Do you need a stove? Fuel?

Is you pack a toploader or are the compartment subdivided?

How often will you have access to water? Potable and for laundry.

Do you plan to actually do long treks where you carry all that weight? My goodness, I try to keep my pack under 36 Lbs.

I could see it possible, but you really almost need a 90 or 120 litre freighter external frame pack. This puts the sleeping pad and bag on the exterior and can handle the weight. In the end, its probably not the weight that will get you, its the volume.

People hike the Appalachian Trail with hyper lite bags at 5 liters or less, for 6-7 months, but they get there food stops every 4-6 days and water is prevalent, but its with at best 1 extra change of clothing.

Traijin

Backpacking with a heavy bag is a real PITA and costs money, as you end up taking more cabs or staying in more expensive places just because they are closer to the bus station or pier…

My first trip in Mexico/Central America, I ended up giving away half of my stuff after a few weeks as I was so fed up with carrying it around (I wasn't diving back then, but had a mosquito net, 5 changes of clothes, 4 pairs of shoes, and way too much "just in case" medicine).

I did a bit of research about travelling in Thailand (haven't been there yet though), it seems you can find most things you need there. No need to carry six months worth of shampoo or soap, bring sample-size to get by for a week and buy more as you need.

Clothes can be washed : a couple T-shirt, a long sleeve shirt, a pair of long pants, a pair of shorts, 2 bathing suits, a fleece jacket, maybe a light raincoat or umbrella, 1 pair of walking shoes, 1 pair of beach sandals, a hat, sunglasses, a few underwear and socks and you're set.
Soak your clothes in a special DEET-based product that you can buy in outdoors stores, it helps keep mosquitoes away.

Microfiber towels are great for travelling, they're light, don't take up any space and dry superfast. Sarongs make great beach towels and can be used as a sheet too.
Other useful items include a flashlight, padlock, maybe a silk sleeping bag (lightweight, small, supercomfy) if you're gonna be staying in cheap places and are weary about the cleanliness of the sheets.

Do you absolutely need to bring your laptop ?
There are Internet café on the touristy islands. And if there aren't, it's unlikely you'll be able to get a connexion in your hotel room either. As a matter of fact, if staying in the cheapest digs, you may not even have access to an electric outlet to charge the battery.
If you just want to download your pics, you could invest in a portable hard drive, download the pics on the Internet café's computer and copy them to your USB drive. That's what I've been doing these past few trips in Mexico.

Since you're gonna be staying so long, ask about the possibility to buy a cheap local cellphone and SIM card. I don't know if it's an option for tourists there, but would be more useful and cheaper than making local calls using your Belgian phone thru international.

As far as the bag itself goes, forget the wheeled kind, unless you plan on doing most of your travelling by plane and stopping in less than different places. Wheels are heavy, take up space, and are useless on sandy or rocky roads.
My preference would go towards a backpack big enough to hold your wetsuit/BCD/fins/clothes/toilettries/sandals that you carry on the back, and a smaller, cabin-sized one, for the reg/dive computer/camera/housing/important medicine/other valuables that you carry in front of you.

Big amounts of money, passport, credit card, plane ticket go in a money belt under your clothes.

Here's a great Website about packing : Leisure and Business Travel Packing List - Travel Light with One Bag!

I’ve taken several long trips like this.

Agreed about Bp/w Deep Sea Supply makes a couple of little wings 17 & 20lbs and a very light backplate which is very worth considering & drys quickly

Only bring a couple changes of clothes. 3 shirts, 1 travel pants w/ pockets, 1 shorts, 1 pair hiking sandals like Chacos or Tevas. Unless you trek or run you won’t need tennies. You can easily pick up cheap clothing, etc as you travel if you need anything more. You can pretty much purchase everything in Thailand – just bring any backup meds you might need as quality is usually better from western countries. A couple of pairs of UV protection sunglasses & some concentrated sunscreen would also be helpful. I also bring things like mosquito net for over the bed, a piece of clothes line, camp knife, compass, small “pack towel” for backpacking,

I agree, bring less – or you will probably end up giving it away!

Best luggage system I found was personal belongings in a backpack, small day pack on my chest with all the expensive items – and scuba equipment in a small rolling duffel bag. This set up allows independence and mobility so you are not stuck near the bus stations or at the mercy of overpriced ground transportation.

Have fun, good luck!

Hi Bubble Dragon,
I haven't been to Koh Lanta but have been to Koh Tao, and have backpacked a bit too.
I have to agree travel light.

You can buy absolutely everything you need on Koh Tao, first world medicines, food,second hand books, quality dive gear (all brands) at very reasonable prices, there is heaps of second hand gear for sale on the island and people/backpackers even sometimes give stuff away when they leave as it's to much to carry (I mean BCD's, and reg's!!).

Quality clothing is a bit light on but you'll only ever end up wearing one or 2 pieces consantly anyway (no one wears shirts :)). 3 shorts, 3 shirts, 1 jeans and underwear, is enough (you could buy all this there too in Bangkok for under 100 euro. I would take comfortable sneakers (wear them when you fly to save space) over hiking boots there is no where in Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao or Thailand where you will need anything but sneakers and sandals ($4 on Koh Tao).

There is tonnes of free Wi Fi on the island as well as Internet cafes, ATM's etc. I travel with a Netbook (mini laptop weighs 1kg, WiFi, Bluetooth, Webcamall built in & size of a large book). Mobile SIMs are easy to get and the rates are unbelievebly cheap.

A lot of dive schools let the DM trainees use the hire gear for free so BCD, reg's may be a waste to carry.

A second hand good scooter should cost 10000THB ($350 USD) be careful everyone seems to hurt themselves badly (very few escape scooter accidents). If you live on KT for a few moths you'll probably need one.

There lots more I could share. But to summarise, 70 lt is heaps if you leave the BCD at home or a tight heavy fit if you don't. With a camera case it may be a little hard. You will find the dive gear a pain if you really do travel with it and you will worry about it going missing! I've never had theft (always private rooms not dorms), but it can happen. If you do take it invest $100 USD in a Pacsafe (google it) you'll need a medium for 70 lt pack. They are a wire mesh cage which folds up compact and designed for pack packing. Will prevent any theft, I have one and swear by it. Good luck. And be warned Koh Tao isn't the best diving in the world but the dive community and lifestyle are addictive and you may never leave.

After the travel light advice I'll be going to the Phillipines for 3 weeks with ALL my dive gear (BCD, Reg's & fins)in a 65 lt back pack in 3 days, do as I say not as I do!!!

Good luck, Enjoy and if your still in KT in march april I may run into you!!

Back
Top Bottom