backpack WO/wings????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok so I just ran across this on the web and it kinda weirded me out. There are a lot of photos of divers here without BCD or wings.

Is their anyone out there on the board that dives like this now?? I thought this kind of diving went out with the ark.

click this link

cancun mark:
Ok so I just ran across this on the web and it kinda weirded me out. There are a lot of photos of divers here without BCD or wings.

Is their anyone out there on the board that dives like this now?? I thought this kind of diving went out with the ark.

click this link
I saw a guy just diving a BP in Vancouver around 4wks ago. Mind you, he did have a drysuit on and could of been using it as his BC.

cancun mark:

click this link

Old school... and you know when you're almost out of air when it becomes hard to breathe. I know you can still get those backpacks on Leisurepro.

occasionally - particularly in warm water when i almost never inflate a bc anyways.

Must be the new "Super DIR" dewds...........very streamline indeed.

cancun mark:

click this link

I have 2 friends who dive like that. One is a hunter, and the other is just old school.

Its an advanced, somewhat archaic form of scuba diving, which is not recommended by the training agencies. The agencies specifically state that a B/C is required for current diver training and certification.

Back in the olden days (I am waxing grandfatherish now), you wore a wetsuit for scuba and you set your buoyancy to be neutral at your desired planned depth. Then you did a surface dive and kicked down to your desired depth, and dived there, allowing the pressure at depth to neutralize your wetsuit. If you go back even before the olden days, you would have dived in woolens and boots (that however would be waxing great-grandfatherish).

These folks are prone to scurry along the bottom, being negatively buoyant (sort of like new PADI divers even with B/Cs on). That is perfect for a hunter anyway. For a sandy or gravel bottom, it does not kick up a lot of dust. For a silty bottom, it can produce a huge cloud of dust however.

JeffG:
I saw a guy just diving a BP in Vancouver around 4wks ago. Mind you, he did have a drysuit on and could of been using it as his BC.

Using your drysuit for buoyancy control is old school too.

cancun mark:

click this link

Not with the arc. I kept diving like that for a long time. I inherited the gear and didn't replace it until it was well worn out. I always dove dry and used my drysuit for buoyancy so I never saw the need to have a BCD. I did have a horse-collar thingy jsut in case but I don't recall ever needing it.

R..

I dive with a hardpac and an oral inflate horsecollar BC when I dive with my double hose DW Mistral or DA Aquamaster. With a T-shirt or a 3mm shorty the weight change is relatively small and I do not normally mess with the horse collar for bouyancy control.

With a 7mm wet suit and no bouyancy compensation though you really begin to appreciate the conditioning needed by divers in the pre-BC era.

I'm suffering flashbacks. Just add a Voit twin hose reg and it's me......30 years ago.

Seldom wore a wetsuit. With a suit I would find out how much lead was needed to sink just the suit, and back off a few lbs.

Swim it down 'till your neutral or a little negative and life was good.

Actually works pretty well for shallow, short duration dives, especially when you don't know any other way.:D

Regards,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom