Back up light selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat:
I am 6'. I am using the standard Halcyon Scout lights. I find that the standard (3-C) Scouts is too long for the right side as it always comes in contact with my canister. I then replace one of the Scouts with a mini-Scout (2-C) with sits nicely along my shoulder strap with just enough room between the canister and itself.

If you are using a canister or will probably be diving with one in the future, MIGHT want to use a 2-C on for your right side. Just from my experience. :) Hope this helps.

Me too ... I have two older style 3 cell scout lights. I also find that the light mounted on the right shoulder harness interferes with the canister light lid. I guess this is where a 2 cell scout would be kind of nice.

scubazach:
I need some back ups - new to DIR. Should I select a "short" 2 c cells or standard length light - 3 c-cells.

I am 5' 10" around 160 lbs not small, but not huge. Will the standards be too long/get in the way?

Thanks for your input!

-Z

My wife's about 5' and the PT's are fine. The 2 c-cells would be better, but the 3-C's fit and work just fine.

riguerin:
Me too ... I have two older style 3 cell scout lights. I also find that the light mounted on the right shoulder harness interferes with the canister light lid. I guess this is where a 2 cell scout would be kind of nice.

If you're having a problem then either your canister is sitting in the wrong place or your backup is in the wrong place. I use the old 14aH lead acid and the old 6aH lead acid batteries and I've never had a problem with any of my 3 cell backups interfering with the canister.

nadwidny:
If you're having a problem then either your canister is sitting in the wrong place or your backup is in the wrong place. I use the old 14aH lead acid and the old 6aH lead acid batteries and I've never had a problem with any of my 3 cell backups interfering with the canister.
No, it just means some folks have a shorter torso than you.

The primary consideration when choosing a backup light should be burn time - it needs to be as long as your maximum planned bottom time. If the smaller light satisfies those requirements (and is of the proper DIR configuration - in-line batteries, twist-on head, not over-volted, single attachment point at the back, etc), then it should be fine.

DIR-Atlanta:
The primary consideration when choosing a backup light should be burn time - it needs to be as long as your maximum planned bottom time. If the smaller light satisfies those requirements (and is of the proper DIR configuration - in-line batteries, twist-on head, not over-volted, single attachment point at the back, etc), then it should be fine.

As a clarifying point, the LEDs do have a ridiculous burn time. But, the actual burn time you get with a good beam is not that much longer than with halogen so the 2Cs still don't work if a longer exit may be required.

nadwidny:

I would tend to agree with nadwindy on this one.
The location of the canister can be moved forward or back a very small amount and makes just enough room for the 3c scout.
I had fit problems before but no problems now.
I'm only 5'9"

Milo

ScubaMilo:
I would tend to agree with nadwindy on this one.
The location of the canister can be moved forward or back a very small amount and makes just enough room for the 3c scout.
I had fit problems before but no problems now.
I'm only 5'9"

Milo

Well according to others we don't have problems because the torso on your 5'9" and my 5'8" are somehow longer than the ones that do have problems and are 5'10" and 6'.

RTodd:
As a clarifying point, the LEDs do have a ridiculous burn time. But, the actual burn time you get with a good beam is not that much longer than with halogen so the 2Cs still don't work if a longer exit may be required.

Its way longer than I have gas. Like more than 24 hours with a beam indistinguishable from fresh batteries. I tried once, got bored, and quite after 1.5 days. This was a 2-cell scout with a UK LED module.

I also like the 2cell scout on my right, even though I can make a 3cell light work. Shorter is just "nicer"

The old 3-C cell scouts are still DIR, right? Given that those have been around for a while, hasn't anyone designed a light with equivalent characteristics but smaller, say 4-AA cell LED or something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom