Back to diving on Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha,

I wanted to post a quick update for those of you on the mainland who have been following this Kauai flooding/rains and the impact on diving. Yesturday the boats started to take divers again! Didn't get positive results initially 5-15ft vis - HOWEVER, I just spoke with one of our boats (not literally) and the DM/Captain indicated that we had 80ft vis at a popular spot called "Ice Box." I was shocked - but this is wonderful news. This doesn't mean we've turned the corner by any means as there is still a lot of dirty water out there and we still are getting rain - but a little good news way earlier than I would have expected it! We're sending an afternoon boat as well based on this. Hope this news finds you well.

Island best...

Please take this post as nothing more than me getting to post some pictures I received last night. Kauai has some excellent diving that we would all enjoy.

You could even go diving to get to you room.
View attachment 31200
Or lounge by the pool.
View attachment 31201
Take a look at the beautiful beach and great snorkeling for the kids. Might see a few shark fins in the water.
View attachment 31202
Don't worry about parking and not being able to find your car, it wouldn't start anyway!
View attachment 31203
This damage is from just one hotel. The diving will quickly recover after a good flush as Catherine puts it. The current is strong enough the ocean will cleanse itself quickly. Wish I was there to dive.

Well that didn't work out quite how I planned it...gonna have to figure out image tags on this board.

I've stayed at that hotel! It's the Kauai Marriott. Here are some "before" pictures of the pool. It is (was?) the best thing about the hotel.

Gotta like having the before pictures posted :)
Kauai has some beautiful resorts. Unfortunately when I go too visit I am stuck staying at my friends for free. Kinda nice though having a car and locals to show you around.

Betcha it'll be fine, Bruce. We get that kind of weather up here every year and call it "Winter". By July, everything is patched back together. And I'm sure the vis and whatnot will be sorted out by then.

My family and friends will be there at the end of May. Should we expect things to be back to normal? Also when we plan on diving would you recommend to dive earlier or later in the week. We are looking at doing only two days of diving so we can do couple of days of diving. Also any info on who you would recommend for a dive shop would be great?

Thanks,
Rob Gee

The visibility effects wouldn't last until may. (would they?)

Just when we thought it was safe to go back into the water....
Well, vis went way back down today. Looks like it's gonna be challenging for a little while longer. I cant imagine it lasting much longer - and certainly not May. But all of us in the dive industry are experiencing something new. Not rain obviously - but this amount of flooding and steady (daily) rains that just aren't going away. Feel free to call Fathom Five Divers for updates @ 1-808-742-6991. Seasports Divers and Bubbles Below are also staying on top of things to the best of their abilities and will be happy to help as well I would hope. Kauai is very unique in so many ways. While having the primary diving on the south shore (not the leeward side like most i.e. Kihei, Lahaina or Kona) makes the surface a lil' more bumpy at times...the trade winds can clear the waters very quickly. Right now the river mouths are obviously dumping into the ocean - and less common "Kona winds" (from the south) are keeping the dirty water very close to shore. Hope this helps a little. We want nothing more than to have our beautiful water to return. Keep the faith and you'll see it'll turn around sooner than later.

Best of island wishes

p.s. North swells will also be gone soon which means diving on the north shore will open (Tunnels) as well as Mana Crack and Niihau/Lehua for the more advanced divers.

Back
Top Bottom