Back Roll off a boat... Will I die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what's going on, but I use nomad ring bungees. Works great fr boat diving. Clip in your tanks and they automagically move into position once underwater. On the way out of the water up the boat ladder the weight transfers from the bungees to the metal clips. No messing around with bungees underwater.

Its td go some downsides but for ow recreational diving it's great.

This makes sense to me, the top of the tank is always secured and you still have a range of motion if needed. I would only be using this for OW recreational. This could make for an interesting winter project.

Yes! you will definitely die, probably sometime before your 120th birthday.

A promised. A short little video taken from a drone. It makes for an interesting perspective.

[video=youtube;JdPGQffI8Og]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPGQffI8Og&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Video taken by Nathan Harwood
The boat is the "Skydiver" - UB Diving, Courtney BC.
We were all from The Dive Shop in Calgary

Just exactly what I needed! Thanks!

I'm new to side mount - learned it last December, in Pattaya, Thailand of all places (thanks, Andy!); rigged my venerable TransPac II with DiveRite's "Nomad" steel-ring top bungies, and stand-off D-rings on the waist-belt; did a series of work-up dives at Amy Slate's, the end of April, and if I haven't got it "perfect, well, I have a system that works well for me, for now. The only common maneuver I haven't done is the backroll entry, and I've been worrying about that - maybe not as far as "Will I die?" because I don't use split fins.

This video puts my worries to rest.

I'm going to Boca Chica (Dominican Republic) week-after-next, for diving and sundry other pleasures I shouldn't name on a PG-rated board. Now my only worry is going to be handling myself with those tanks on the little 'panga' boats they use down there. Should be OK, though, and I hope to post some good photos from La Caleta Underwater National Park.

If the boat is too small, I would think you'd be better off just having them hand you to tanks to clip off once in the water.

A promised. A short little video taken from a drone. It makes for an interesting perspective.

[video=youtube;JdPGQffI8Og]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPGQffI8Og&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Video taken by Nathan Harwood
The boat is the "Skydiver" - UB Diving, Courtney BC.
We were all from The Dive Shop in Calgary

I also dive SMS100 with LP85's. The person's in the video tanks seem to be hanging extremely low (even for free hanging tanks). Also, the hose with a regulator in the mouth is routed through his back?

PS: Seems like too much stress on the harness. I'd not do it just because I like my equipment.

Okay, now that I'm back from Boca Chica, Dominican Republic, I want to say that the only difference between back-rolling with sidemount doubles and doing so with a back-mounted single was getting my overweighted butt on the gunwales in the first place.

I dove with Tropical Sea Divers in Boca Chica. July being low season meant that the groups were small - twice it was just me and Marc, their lead instructor. He went side-mount as well, using what looked like twin aluminum 40's - well, of course he doesn't need as much gas as I do, he's a professional and he dives all the time. (Me, I'm an air-hog, and I switched to side-mount so I can carry extra air.)

Once again, Hawkwood, thanks for the video.

Back
Top Bottom