Back Roll off a boat... Will I die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get the balance right, you can do a full 360 underwater and pop up right side up.

Usually we go out with the larger boat that permits a "giant stride". This time we had the small boat.

What is happening to the top of the tanks that are only held in place by bungees when you do a giant stride entry?

What is happening to the top of the tanks that are only held in place by bungees when you do a giant stride entry?

Surely if kitting up fully prior to entry, the top of the tanks are temporarily "clipped" in to the chest D rings with double enders or bolt snaps.... unclipping and switching to bungee only once in the water? (reverse for exit, re-clip at end of dive, get out, if walking out with tanks attached)

(at least that's how i do it)

Don't know. I've never seen an issue with the folks I go diving with. I can't answer your question other than that. Sorry.

First of all, there are several ways to get in the water with sidemount. The easiest way is to hang the bottles over the side and enter the water without them. It takes a minute or two to clip them on and down you go. You exit in reverse of this and this is very easy to do. If you must do a giant stride or even walk with sidemount tanks, it's best to use the choker system or at least a temporary hard clip off to the BC. In the case of a RIB or any seated entry, the back roll is easy enough.

At the heart of the side mount schema is experimentation resulting in almost infinite flexibility. There is no need or even benefit to configure your gear in only one way. Likewise, there is no benefit to glomming onto only one way to enter/exit the water. Analyze the process, then adjust or reinvent as needed. You are only limited by the environment, imagination and your desire to improve. Just be sure the boat you're diving off of will allow the process you have chosen.

That's a good point Pete. Most of the folks on the boat I showed in the video back rolled in with their gear and climbed out using the ladder with tanks still on. It did not seem to be that onerous.

We had one fellow who did something to his back the second day. He still did the back roll after we hooked the tanks on him while he was seated. When he came out, he stood on the ladder's platform and we unhooked the tanks, then he climbed in. Very flexible.

It also depends on the tanks as well as the environment. I've dropped in with my 130CF steel beasts attached, but I don't like waddling with all that weight. Change those tanks to AL80s and it's a piece of cake. But then, do I need 260cf or will 160 suffice? Current, waves and other surface conditions make clipping on tanks while on the surface as well as getting to the back of the boat problematic. I've dropped in with only my deco bottle (AL40) and clipped on my primary tanks which were waiting at 15 ft, well under the waves and most surge. Again, you are only limited by your resourcefulness.

Good points. It really depends on the environment there may be more than one way to do it effectively.

Two additional factors, esp. relevant in cold waters: a) I clip one of the tanks to a drop line but keep the one with LP hose attached to BC, just in case. You can slip while climbing up the latter, the BC has a chunk of lead, and it's good to have a cylinder to breath from and inflate the wing. b) Under calm conditions, clipping both tanks is a good option but in cold waters the fingers don't work as well. Less fumbling (unclipping/clipping, tucking in hose, etc.) can be a good thing.

It also depends on the tanks as well as the environment. I've dropped in with my 130CF steel beasts attached, but I don't like waddling with all that weight. Change those tanks to AL80s and it's a piece of cake. But then, do I need 260cf or will 160 suffice? Current, waves and other surface conditions make clipping on tanks while on the surface as well as getting to the back of the boat problematic. I've dropped in with only my deco bottle (AL40) and clipped on my primary tanks which were waiting at 15 ft, well under the waves and most surge. Again, you are only limited by your resourcefulness.

Nothing really, I use a double ender for jumping off but on the odd occasion I haven't they were fine :)

Surely if kitting up fully prior to entry, the top of the tanks are temporarily "clipped" in to the chest D rings with double enders or bolt snaps.... unclipping and switching to bungee only once in the water? (reverse for exit, re-clip at end of dive, get out, if walking out with tanks attached)

(at least that's how i do it)

That seems to be the way most people do it. Why unclip and switch to a bungee? I get that the bungee helps to keep the tanks in the proper position but I would still want both ends clipped off. What am I missing here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom