back plate vs Ultra Lite Travel Plate for FL diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitroxic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am relatively new to diving and have been using an old Zeagle escape I inherited. It is extremely light weight and low profile (doesn't even have pockets). I am sold on low profile design and would like to continue this trend even more in my next BCD purchase. Of course after cruising the threads a BP/W system seems to be ideal.

I live in FL, and don't plan on flying much to my dive destinations, though I'm sure it will happen. Most dives will be 72 degrees or warmer, usually warmer.

Wreck/Cave diving is probably not in my future, but deeper, 100 ft plus, probably will be.

I am thinking about a SS plate or the Ultra Lite Travel Plate. Is there any downside to the UL as opposed to a classic SS plate? My thinking was the 6 lbs of steel would mean that much less weight to have to carry on the belt, helping with streamlining. But the UL snug against the back may help keep lower profile.

Second part is wing choice. I'm seriously considering the 30# mach V, but again for streamlining, I think most of my diving I could get away with the 18 lb Travel Wing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

With the new airline weight restrictions, I decided to replace my 1/4 inch aluminum BP and 30 lb wing with the Oxycheq UL plate and 18 lb wing for use in warm water destinations that require air travel. I estimate is save about 7 lb in my bag.

It performs quite well but is not as stable as my metal plate. It also does not support the attachment of accessories to the plate. The 5 to 6 lb metal plate leaves me with good trim and little or no weight on a belt in warm water. I add weights on the tank bands with the UL plate to accomplish the same thing. If it were not for the air travel restrictions, I'd stay with the metal plate. The 18 lb wing is more than adequate for warm water, go light, diving.

Thanks, that was my thought.

I do wonder about not having any dumpable weight being a problem. I've read the rule of thumb is 1/3 should be dumpable. I'm 5'11" about 195 lbs. I currently run about 20 lbs of shot. My guesstimating I'll run around 18 lbs with the BP. 6 lbs in the plate leaving 10-12 on the belt, tank and trim. So in theory 6 lbs in the plate, 6 lbs on the tank strap and 6 on the belt.

What's a good dumpable weight pouch to use? Smaller is better. The Dive Rite 16 lb pockets looked nice.

I went with the SS plate, weighted or unweighted STA and 30# wing for everyday wear. It's good for all my single tank diving needs, from drysuit to 3mm neoprene.

For flying and mid-summer, 3mm neoprene and less diving I have the UL and 18# wing.

Weight belts with either one. I'll add hard weights to the cambands of the SS/30# rig for drysuit diving.

I justified the UL/18# rig by saying it was for my wife. :eyebrow:

Thanks, that was my thought.

I do wonder about not having any dumpable weight being a problem. I've read the rule of thumb is 1/3 should be dumpable. I'm 5'11" about 195 lbs. I currently run about 20 lbs of shot. My guesstimating I'll run around 18 lbs with the BP. 6 lbs in the plate leaving 10-12 on the belt, tank and trim. So in theory 6 lbs in the plate, 6 lbs on the tank strap and 6 on the belt.

What's a good dumpable weight pouch to use? Smaller is better. The Dive Rite 16 lb pockets looked nice.

You don't mention what exposure protection you are using, but in Fl I'm surprised you are using that much weight. I'm 5'10" and 215 and have my fair share of fat. I suspect that as you get more experience, you will shed a lot of that lead you are carrying. I also don't have a problem with no dumpable weight as long as I can swim my gear to the surface. In warm water, I usually dive with little or no dumpable weight. If you go with a plate, you might want to look at Al rather than SS. It will leave you more room for steel tanks which you will likely get to if you stay with scuba.

BTW, I prefer a cheap zipper pocket weight belt that will handle hard or soft weights and leaves me room to carry some accessories like a buddy line.

My UL travel rig was also for my wife - so she had room to pack her hair drier and pillow and other necessities.

I have a feeling I'm running too much weight, but on my first trip to venice my buddy and I kicked out a couple hundred yards and I didn't have enough weight to decend. :dork2: Now I use a head down decent to get some of the trapped air out of the BC which probably would have worked but I was very green at the time. Buddy stayed under a while, over 5 minutes, which pissed me off, but buddy skills have also improved.

I dive Venice a bunch and collect fossils. I would think an 18# wing would still be more than enough for the extra weight I may be carrying (absolute max 10 lbs) but I'm really considering the 30# wing. I'll have to see what the difference is in size and add that into the equation.

I have a zippered weight belt I use for snorkeling, but wouldn't that get bulky under the harness, or allow it to be non dump-able? Apparently that's not an issue for some, but it just seems safer to be able to drop some of your weight so you can float to the surface in an emergency.

The most exposure protection I usually use is a 3/2 wetsuit.

I have a feeling I'm running too much weight, but on my first trip to venice my buddy and I kicked out a couple hundred yards and I didn't have enough weight to decend. :dork2: Now I use a head down decent to get some of the trapped air out of the BC which probably would have worked but I was very green at the time. Buddy stayed under a while, over 5 minutes, which pissed me off, but buddy skills have also improved.

I dive Venice a bunch and collect fossils. I would think an 18# wing would still be more than enough for the extra weight I may be carrying (absolute max 10 lbs) but I'm really considering the 30# wing. I'll have to see what the difference is in size and add that into the equation.

I have a zippered weight belt I use for snorkeling, but wouldn't that get bulky under the harness, or allow it to be non dump-able? Apparently that's not an issue for some, but it just seems safer to be able to drop some of your weight so you can float to the surface in an emergency.

The most exposure protection I usually use is a 3/2 wetsuit.

I'm sure you are a bit overweighted. Experience will take care of that in time. Once you get truly neutral the amount of lead you carry is not really part of what the wing needs to deal with anyway. For wetsuit diving, the wing has to compensate for wetsuit compression and the weight of your gas. And you want it to be able to float your gear when you are not in it. 18 lb should be plenty. The Oxycheq 18 is a sweet light little wing with no gas trapping problem. It would probably be fine on a 2 lb aluminum plate for most Fl diving.

My belt fits just below my harness. I don't use a crotch strap so ditching weight is easy. I don't plan to ever drop weight to get to the surface. That is just inviting an uncontrolled ascent. Dropping weight should be done after you get to the surface if you are having trouble staying afloat. I understand that even with a crotch strap, it is not too difficult to pull the weight belt free if you must drop weights.

Excellent! All sounds pretty good to me. You guys have been incredibly helpful.

I can't wait to get my new set up and experience what true low profile diving can be. Now I just need to get a wrist mount for my compass, yank my SPG out of the consul and pick up some new hoses. Probably a thigh pouch too.

I don't plan to ever drop weight to get to the surface. That is just inviting an uncontrolled ascent. Dropping weight should be done after you get to the surface if you are having trouble staying afloat

What if you have a BC failure?

What if you have a BC failure?

Any likely circumstance that you would be in while diving an 18 pound wing you will not be so heavy that you cannot swim up. Since I often dive with no BC how do you think I would deal with that if it were not possible? I usually try to set up for warm water diving such that I don't have a weight belt at all. The little weight I need I put on the tank and it is not enough to worry over. I suck my Oxy Mach V flat, suck it flat as a pancake and dive neutral with no weight or no more than four pounds, if I add a full 3/2 so I might have six pounds, I can swim six pounds up and a whole bunch more. Once on the surface, assuming a belt or weight pouches, jettison the weight (we are talking about a wing failure--right?). You do carry a safety sausage don't you??:eyebrow:

Love my new Oxy 18 and Mini Plate almost as much as my Oxy 30 and Freedom Plate.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom