back plate vs Ultra Lite Travel Plate for FL diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if you have a BC failure?

I had one fail a couple weeks ago in Bonaire. Lower pull dump inner nut failed leaving me a 2' diameter hole as I descended. I handed the extra 2 lb I was carrying to my wife/buddy and completed that dive and one more after it with no problem. Did a duct tape patch job on it when I got back to the hotel (can't even leave a Save-a-dive kit in the vehicle) And dove it that way for the rest of the week. In warm water recreational diving, a BCD is more of a convenience thing than a necessity.

Yes, I was talking about wing bladder failure

I too dive warm water (3mm shorty or less) without a weight belt/extra weight - with a SS BP/W - on either single tank or doubles, with little (doubles) or no (single) air in the wing

I'm not sure I could swim up from depth with full steel tank/s though, although I swim ok; and not sure I could stay at the surface as long as I may need to (eg surface swim back to shore/wait for boat) - never had to though, will have to try it next dive and see how I cope

I'm planning on changing to an alloy BP with weight pockets on the tank so I have some ditchable weight (and also carry less weight for travelling)

I have always carried an SMB when using doubles, and sometimes with a single (deep/drift); but not on every dive when using a single tank - especially if I'm using rental gear and not my own rig. So, I guess there's a lesson there for me (always carry SMB) - although I don't know if that's entirely the answer, especially since I often do 'spur of the moment' dives when travelling for work

Thanks for your response, happy to hear more thoughts if you have them - I find your posts informative, and am always happy to learn from someone with more experience than me

You need some ditchable weight and you need to get an aluminum plate or other material, not steel.

You may not be sure, but I am absolutely positive I can swim anything I have up and stay on the surface. I thought we were talking about ultralight wings and plates, not doubles here? I just don't see the heavy reliance on a BC in warm water, you should be just about neutral, if not, then your set up to heavy as in I notice you have a steel plate and steel tank or tanks. Even the GUE pages I have read suggest aluminum tanks in warm water, maybe your double steels need to go to aluminum instead if you are so heavy you cannot swim up. I am just going by what you say but that is not a desireable or tolerable circumstance except in a few specific cases.

N

Thanks again

To clarify - I realise that the person I quoted was initially talking about a travel wing; although that was not the original topic (BP vs Ultra Light)

But I took the comment about not ever dropping weight until you reach the surface as a general comment for any situation; maybe I mis-interpreted that. Still not sure I agree with that

My usual rig is a halcyon eclipse 30# with a single DIN (rental) tank, which (in my experince) means steel. Doubles are the exception rather than the rule for me

With regards to my "I'm not sure" comment, I was saying that I'm not sure that an SMB would keep my head above water with a wing bladder failure - IMHO SMB is useful when you're underwater but not so much on the surface? I never saw them as anything else - but perhaps that means I am overweighted as you say?

Anyhoo, ditchable wight and aluminium BP are most definitely in my near future

Just my 2 cents

I use the 18# wing and the travel plate, I have 4 small weight pockets on the cam bands and place a 1# weight in each one (total 4 lbs). I am weigh 225 wear 3mm shorty and at the end of my dive with about 700 PSI I floated just under the surface. I know that I do not have any ditchable weights but my trim is almost perfect.

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom