back plate fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jabrossman

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking at the fact that backplates are no longer one size fits all and need some info before I get a new one. How do I figure out the ideal fit? Where should the top and bottom of the plate sit in relation to the body? All the people I know have standard plates and I am looking at the tall or xlt from http://www.deepseasupply.com
before I order I want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks,
James

jabrossman:
Hello all,
I am looking at the fact that backplates are no longer one size fits all and need some info before I get a new one. How do I figure out the ideal fit? Where should the top and bottom of the plate sit in relation to the body? All the people I know have standard plates and I am looking at the tall or xlt from http://www.deepseasupply.com
before I order I want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks,
James

I bet if call Deep Sea Supply and ask them, they'll fix you right up. No body knows their stuff like they do.

Or... PM Tobin @ cool_hardware_52. He's the guy.

You might also look at Oxycheq. I think they are comparable in quality to DSS. I own product from both, and think they are both great. However, I don't own a BP made by either, so I can't honestly say that 1 is better than the other, just that they both have multiple size BPs.

A very nice discussion of backplate fitting, with photographs, is here

Thank you for the help everyone
TSandM,
Thanks for the link, that was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Thanks again,
James

Although the website linked to above does a good job of illustrating the problem of backplace size and correct fitting, I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out for yourself - the people who really know best what size you should get are the people who sell them. I settled this question for myself by e-mail with Tobin at Deep Sea Supply.

FWIW, I'm 6'3" and 208 lbs (maybe 212 lbs or so when I ordered mine), and I was advised to go with the large backplate. That size works perfectly for me.

Back
Top Bottom