Back Mount Pony Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's true... that's sorta why I say get an aluminum 40cu. Right from the start...
That gives you 140 cu ft...

I know some guys are filling those lp50s to 3600psi... which is about 133 cuft in doubles :wink:.

That's why I like my double 72s not terribly heavy... and with a 40cu I have good options...

Honestly I am kinda wishing I had just bought the 6, people say its not enough but I would actually carry it. The 19 has been obnoxious enough to sort out that it almost always gets left ashore. Even a spare air is the best if you will actually have it with you when you need it.
I would never carry a 30 or 40, I only did the 19 over the 13 because of the similar length and identical diameter.

Honestly I am kinda wishing I had just bought the 6, people say its not enough but I would actually carry it. The 19 has been obnoxious enough to sort out that it almost always gets left ashore. Even a spare air is the best if you will actually have it with you when you need it.
I would never carry a 30 or 40, I only did the 19 over the 13 because of the similar length and identical diameter.
I recently started back mounting a 19cf with an XS scuba pony bag: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NX4CC...olid=2X5S92VYFMMYS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Pretty simple way to mount a pony, low-cost, and the mount is very low weight. I mount the pony tank on my left side of the tank and leave my left back trim pocket empty, and put a 3 pounder in my right back trim pocket, and seems pretty darn even to me. YMMV. I'm thinking of also getting a 13cf tank and mounting it the same way for travel -- I know the dimensions aren't that different from a 19cf, but it is about 2 lbs. lighter, and every ounce counts for air travel.

I know some guys are filling those lp50s to 3600psi... which is about 133 cuft in doubles :wink:.

The same physical sized Faber tanks come rated at 3364.88psi in Australia

Older thread, but I'm gonna send it anyway.

I use the Trident Quick Draw Pony Mount, tank inverted, charged and off.
HP117 with a 13. No gauge. I had so many problems with the button gauges, I just eliminated it. Of course a cursory pre dive psi check is in order.

This setup is ideal for me while spearing. If I am planning on site seeing only, I sling it.
I did change out the SS rings on the pins to mono line with crimps. The cable on the mfg's walked out of the rings. This only issue I encountered. Very sturdy setup.

That's why I use this slide in double channel mount only two pieces solid stainless that's it zero issues

299 039a (2).jpg

Shown here on a chestmount rebreather sack on a table next to the washing machine I built it on

With the shark system do you have to remove your poly when you replace the main bottle? If not, what does it attach to?

Yes but only because the shark system secures itself to your primary tank in two ways:

A J hook that loops around your primary tank valve
A cam band with buckle at bottom

To change primary tanks, you undo flip open the cam band buckle and then simply lift off the pony tank.

I dive a 19cf Pony on the right side. Fully valve on and charged. Small 2in SPG tethered so that I can easily check pressure pre-dive and anytime during a dive. Currently still using my good old Pony Tamer mount but considering swapping to the Trident Quick Draw. In the rear trim pockets of my wing BC I keep the right side empty and 3lbs on the left to balance out the offset.

CVn9mnH.jpg

5wzCCzr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom