Back Mount Pony Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone sidemount a 13cuft? If so could you share a picture of your rigging?

Of all the pictures that I've seen, all smaller, 13/19 were back mount and bigger ones side mount (of course)

But I'm buying a 13 and hope that I can side mount it, just to keep it independent and similar to my 40 setup.

Thanks!

Does anyone sidemount a 13cuft? If so could you share a picture of your rigging?

Of all the pictures that I've seen, all smaller, 13/19 were back mount and bigger ones side mount (of course)

But I'm buying a 13 and hope that I can side mount it, just to keep it independent and similar to my 40 setup.

Thanks!

I don't have pictures

But the usual side mount setup

A d ring near the neck of the spare that you clip to your shoulder/chest d ring

And another d ring a third up from the bottom of the spare that you clip to your waist d ring

Then two bungees to stow the second stage/spg

I don't have pictures

But the usual side mount setup

A d ring near the neck of the spare that you clip to your shoulder/chest d ring

And another d ring a third up from the bottom of the spare that you clip to your waist d ring

Then two bungees to stow the second stage/spg

Please forgive my bad drawing.

Considering the 13 is half the height of a 40, it's hard to me to image how/where the two snaps would go and how long should each section be.

Could you help elaborate?

Or if there's any online videos that demos how to rig it?

Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 12.51.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 12.51.51 PM.png
    280.3 KB · Views: 118
Please forgive my bad drawing.

Considering the 13 is half the height of a 40, it's hard to me to image how/where the two snaps would go and how long should each section be.

Could you help elaborate?

Or if there's any online videos that demos how to rig it?

Appreciate the help!

this would work:

Mares XR Adjustable Stage Strap

or this in a size small:

Mares Smith Stage System

Try a long strap on the lower clip.... maybe even a bunge beside it to pull it tight to you.... just kinda thinking...

I know this is a somewhat controversial subject, but for those(and I know there's a few of you) that prefer back mounting or tank mounting a pony, do you use a button guage or regular SPG? On a short hose or long enough to pull up and see? Do you mount right side up or upside down from your main tank?
Just wanted to see what works for others.....
My technique is to flip the tank over your head and feather the valve in a free flow. Long hose preferred. Undo the belt strap and flip the tank over (leave the chest strap off). Practice makes perfect.

I got a 19 because it has a noticeably increased capacity compared to the 13 but is the same diameter and not a heck of a
lot taller. If you see them side by side in a shop the 19 definitely seems the better choice.
I never did get the back mount thing to a point that I liked it, it always made trimming side to side and front to back somewhat irritating.
Haven't got it perfectly slung mounted yet either though I like that better because I want to be able to unclip it and hand it off, or even better clip it to them so they can't lose it. I don't like literally being attached to other people problems.

I was looking at a pony for limited solo and the 19 seemed the minimum size unless its all really shallow so you have a comfortable amount of time to ascend from deeper.
In the end I decided if I ever do solo I will be looking at doubles.
I actually considered this: DGX Custom - Faber LP-50 Doubles Package as its 20lbs lighter than putting my lp85's back together in a doubles set (using them singly right now). A lot of people say its sort of a waste all numbers including cost considered.

I think the reason I never got around to getting a set of 50 doubles was that its sorta like having a 100 tank with true redundancy built in, meaning you really need at least two of those setups for an average dive day, and they are not cheap.
If you have a nice LDS they will fill it as if it were a single 100 tank instead of charging for two fills.
I guess hydro and VIP on 4 tanks isn’t THAT bad a cost.

It’s still on my mind, I love the feeling of redundancy but HATE the thought of always lugging full size doubles around when you won’t use half the air.
I still bounce around the idea every once in awhile.

I suppose this is getting off the main topic, but its something to consider for solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom