Back Mount Pony Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silt Life

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this is a somewhat controversial subject, but for those(and I know there's a few of you) that prefer back mounting or tank mounting a pony, do you use a button guage or regular SPG? On a short hose or long enough to pull up and see? Do you mount right side up or upside down from your main tank?
Just wanted to see what works for others.....

I mount mine right side up, with a second transmitter displayed on my Shearwater computer. My pony tank is opened prior to dive, so no need to access tank valve. The reg is around my neck under my chin, on hot standby.

Right side up. SPG around my neck on a rope. Been so long since I used it, but don't think I turned it on beforehand.

I use the Shark Manufacturing Pony Mount (well designed - even if the cumberband that attaches it to your primary tank comes lose, it cannot detach itself because theres a stabilizing hook around the main tank's neck)

I have a long SPG that I route along with my inflation hose.
I will eventually move to an air integration transmitter or attach the SPG to a 15 cm hose

I have it right side up and always on during a dive. The second stage is on a bungee around my neck

With a c.f. 13 (I've since moved to a 30)

20210415_105541-01.jpeg
20210415_105529.jpg

IMG_20210525_121617_838.jpg
IMG_20210525_121506_439.jpg

Here's my set up. I'm mounted on right because of cam bands and also have my second on a bungie necklace. I still kept my octo because I dive with others too. The SPG is clipped on my right side kinda low, but it can be read easily when I pull it up.

I mount my 19 ft3 right side up on the right side of my main tank using the "Highland" by XS Scuba. I have a button gauge on it and a short hose with the reg bungeed around my neck. I clip the alternate from my primary tank to my right chest D-ring. I often dive with and without the pony so I leave the primary tank alternate reg attached.

If the pony is for emergencies only, a tiny $15 button-gauge should be adequate. If you're paranoid, put the button-gauge on a short-hose ($20), just long enough you could clip it to a d-ring right in front of your shoulder.

Personally, I'm going the route of using side-mount style of mount, to make the bottle streamlined. Two clips to attach securely, and then a bungee to pull the tank and orient it, then bungee holding the hose(s) on the tank. That makes the pony a completely independent, easily detached unit, with no "spaghetti" or entanglement issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom