Back mount pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watch the video and you will see. The necklaced secondary is put in place before the long hose so they do not interfere, try to do that with your inflator hose and still have full use of it.
Is an AIR2 type configuration ideal for every gear configuration? No, it’s not.

If you are diving where a 7’ hose is needed, it’s not a good option. If we are talking about Open Water, it’s not a bad choice. Provided you know how to use it. Mine is adjusted properly. Might breathe a bit harder than my primary, but not by much.

One thing it offers is a consistent position for the secondary. One that should be almost second nature to the diver. I use a Zeagle Octo-Z. I grab it a few times during a dive as it controls my buoyancy as well. Last year I took a Rescue course with two of my regular dive buddies. Two of us use an AIR 2 type configuration. One used a standard inflator and separate alternate. All of us are primary donate.

During the course, we did air sharing numerous times. Only one of us had an issue locating the secondary after donating the primary. The standard alternate had come loose from it’s stowed position.

Is it ideal for every situation? No, it’s not. But for OW dives with divers familiar with primary donate, it’s certainly not the death trap that some claim. If it works for you, it’s a viable option.

And with an AI transmitter, and no SPG, the two hose setup packs up easily. I honestly don’t know how some configurations (7’ primary, secondary, SPG, and inflator) fit in a standard single reg bag.

Removing 1 wrap before putting the reg in your mouth is too tasking?

Each setup has its advantages. Each has its limitations. For a solo rig an air2 is best imo. If you solo then it is beneficial to not change rigs between dive types. Muscle memory being what it is and all my rig doesn't change with exception of primary tank size.
I have given my preference, dive as you wish, I always dive fully redundant so I really don't care what configuration my buddy, if I have one, uses. I realize that after diving for 45 years I still have plenty to learn but including an Air2 in my configuration is not one of them. Why adding any task in an emergency is what I would ask.

Is an AIR2 type configuration ideal for every gear configuration? No, it’s not.

If you are diving where a 7’ hose is needed, it’s not a good option. If we are talking about Open Water, it’s not a bad choice. Provided you know how to use it. Mine is adjusted properly. Might breathe a bit harder than my primary, but not by much.

One thing it offers is a consistent position for the secondary. One that should be almost second nature to the diver. I use a Zeagle Octo-Z. I grab it a few times during a dive as it controls my buoyancy as well. Last year I took a Rescue course with two of my regular dive buddies. Two of use use an AIR 2 type configuration. One used a standard inflator and separate alternate. All of us are primary donate.

During the course, we did air sharing numerous times. Only one of us had an issue locating the secondary after donating the primary. The standard alternate had come loose from it’s stowed position.

Is it ideal for every situation? No, it’s not. But for OW dives with divers familiar with primary donate, it’s certainly not the death trap that some claim. If it works for you, it’s a viable option.

And with an AI transmitter, and no SPG, the two hose setup packs up easily. I honestly don’t know how some configurations (7’ primary, secondary, SPG, and inflator) fit in a standard single reg bag.
Practicing air shares is nothing like what happens in a real emergency with a panicked diver, useful yes but does not really prepare you for when the sht really hits the fan.

Removing 1 wrap before putting the reg in your mouth is too tasking?

Each setup has its advantages. Each has its limitations. For a solo rig an air2 is best imo. If you solo then it is beneficial to not change rigs between dive types. Muscle memory being what it is and all my rig doesn't change with exception of primary tank size.
My concern with this is that I would rather not be inflating my BCD off my pony, which is why I opted not to go with the Air2. If I was buddy diving more I would definately use something like the Air2.

My concern with this is that I would rather not be inflating my BCD off my pony, which is why I opted not to go with the Air2. If I was buddy diving more I would definately use something like the Air2.
Why would you do that? The only hose coming off your pony should be your reg and maybe an spg. The air2 is connected to your main reg... not sure you're understanding the setup

Why would you do that? The only hose coming off your pony should be your reg and maybe an spg. The air2 is connected to your main reg... not sure you're understanding the setup
I may well be.

Are you running a first with a primary and Air 2, plus a pony with a primary and secondary?

I know some people on here run a first stage with a single second and then an Air 2 off a back mounted pony. Personally, I prefer a first stage and a single second stage on each of my main tank and pony, and keep the pony front slung. Many ways to skin this cat.

@Cthippo

Main tank:
Primary
AI Transmitter
Air2
Drysuit inflation

Pony:
Reg clipped off to my right chest d-ring

A pony reg only has a single 2nd stage and sometimes an spg if you want one.

Watch the video and you will see. The necklaced secondary is put in place before the long hose so they do not interfere, try to do that with your inflator hose and still have full use of it.
That is ridiculous. I don't use a long hose, but in an emergency, I would get the second stage in the buddy's mouth and then use the air 2. The guy making that video is ignorant about the device. Thanks for answering my question.

Practicing air shares is nothing like what happens in a real emergency with a panicked diver, useful yes but does not really prepare you for when the sht really hits the fan.
Fair point, but it’s really hard to practice with a real panicked diver. All you can do is practice your skills and it should be 2nd nature to you. I will add that this wasn’t just a standard air share like you would see in an OW course.

The instructors did a good job of surprising us. All we knew was that there was some emergency. It could have been a lost fin, out of air, or just needing to relax. While they weren’t really panicking, they did their best conveying that they were. Up to and including swimming up to and pulling a reg from the student’s mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom