Back mount pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking SPG mounted directly to the pony 1st stage to avoid yet another dangling hose.
I always sling a 40 with a button pressure gauge.
187751E1-05A7-4230-9A8F-2B6F20FD8D1F.jpeg

No pony for shallow water. I back mount a 13 for the deeper dives. Usually around 80ft+.

The biggest issue is a reg mix up. For that reason and because I'm usually solo anyway I use an AIR2 octo inflator combo, a 40" hose under arm primary reg and necklace the pony reg. This ensures there's really no mix up as to which reg is what and I maintain the ability to primary donate with a buddy without having to mess with my setup going from solo to buddy diving and vice-versa.

No spg on the pony, just a button gauge on the first stage as I don't really care how much is in the tank other than if it's full or not. During an emergency and on the pony, you're going straight to the surface, not checking how much pressure you have.

Even if you wanted to do the optional safety stop, suck the pony dry at 10 ft, blow into the wing and you're on the surface.

I use the XS Scuba Pony mount. It's secure and simple and doesn't leave unnecessary gear on my rig when I'm not using it.

Also a transfer whip will be needed to keep the pony topped off throughout a day's worth of diving as you can end up losing a few hundred pounds from splashing and breathing checks or the inadvertent surface purge.

I want my front clear so have my 19cf pony mounted on the main tank with a shark mount. Very solid and doesn't move. I mount it upside down so I can charge it before getting in the water and easily reach the valve to open in case needed.

The hose is of course a bit longer, routed along the pony secured with 2 rubber bands. 2nd stage clipped of my right shoulder. My primary 2nd stage in my mouth, primary octo around my neck (long hose primary donate). Works for me.

Few things about putting the mount on the pony: I use electric tape where the metal bands go to protect the finish of the pony. When you secure the bands, you can route the leftover band inside the slot of the half circle thing so it doesn't portrude as much and becomes a cutting/snagging hazard. I mounted the shark bracket so that the tank can still stand up without the bracket getting in the way. See foto's.

Attachments

• 20230110_213605.jpg
    20230110_213605.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230110_213621.jpg
    20230110_213621.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 56
I use a back-mounted 19cf pony with button SPG and necklaced 2nd stage when solo diving. I started out using this mount, which is low cost and low weight for travel, but can be a little floppy:

Now I use this simple but nice mounting system, which I really like:

20210912_080218.jpg

One of my 'pony' setups for solo diving , larger cylinder for deeper dives.
Old photo as my main 1st stage is a Mk19 DIN now, Mk2 remains my backup.
Fits the Hydros Pro as well.
That's a HOG wing.

@tbone1004 covered this at the start of the thread, but I feel like it’s worth making a pitch for LP50 doubles again, as an alternative to single tank + backmount (for cold water diving - haven’t thought about the weighting of diving it without a drysuit).

Pros:

- All-in, my LP50 rig is 3lbs heavier than my single HP100 setup was, above the water. I use 4lbs of trim weight with the LP50s, vs 20lbs in a single. I’d guess that HP100 + backmount AL19 would work out 10lbs heavier than mini doubles, which is no fun to lug around.

- Mini doubles are incredibly well balanced and trim out like a dream. I’ve never tried diving with a back mount pony, but it doesn’t seem like it would be as streamlined or balanced.

- Mini doubles have all your gas available for buoyancy and breathing in the case of a 1st stage failure. No risk of confusing what reg is connected to what.

- It’s one system to fill/analyze/keep track of, no questions about having an SPG on your backup, etc.

Cons:

- If you already have a single tank setup, it’s a much greater leap to mini doubles than to a backmount pony.

- Good luck bring 2 sets of mini doubles on a boat (although, if you’re on a boat…just dove big doubles).

Overall, I do understand that a backmount pony is a much smaller change for a single-tank diver, vs going to doubles. But as a purely academic exercise of ‘which is better for recreational diving’ (and assuming you can reach the valves!), it seems like mini doubles are objectively the best option.

I get it..... but twin LP50's is still only 100cf. My 120hp primary with a 19 Pony is a total of approx 140CF and a much easier transition in an emergency to simply swap to my chest mounted Pony 2nd and head for the surface... But like i said I get it...... Best to dive whats best and most familiar and trusted for you.

Mini doubles is what we dived in the 1980s [and no BC] they were twin Al 63s, loved them, used a horse collar BC for < 18M [a Fenzy].
And twin 88s for deeper dives with a pony reversed on the right side [ like I do now] , the pony was a test cylinder from the Recompression chamber, solid German made HP cylinder, wish I kept it.

I get it..... but twin LP50's is still only 100cf. My 120hp primary with a 19 Pony is a total of approx 140CF and a much easier transition in an emergency to simply swap to my chest mounted Pony 2nd and head for the surface... But like i said I get it...... Best to dive whats best and most familiar and trusted for you.
My setup and thinking exactly. Minus the chest mounting. 😉

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom