• I'm good

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • I could do better

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • I'm bad

Votes: 25 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I voted OK, but needs more work. Every dive that I do, I can feel it becoming more effective. Then sometimes, it all falls apart and I suck. Still working on it.

Soggy, I like your answer, makes a lot of sense!

I'm bad. I can move backwards but still for most of the time back kick makes me ascending.
Need much more practicing.
Mania

cool_hardware52:
I struggle. Now if you need me to go back and up at the same time, I'm all over it.

First back kick to slow is ok, but after that I'm going up fins first.

It's definitely on my to do list.

Tobin

We call this "shrimp dancing" ... and those of you who've watched what happens when you swim too close to a shrimp will understand why ... :wink:

At any rate, it's real common, and Uncle Pug's advice was the breakthrough for me.

The cause is that, although you feel like your toes are pointed straight back, they're not. They're pointed surfaceward to one degree or another. So that when you do your kick, you end up propelling yourself up as well as back.

The cure is to make yourself feel like your toes are pointed down. They won't be ... they'll be pointed straight back.

The other most common problem is that people load up for the kick too fast. Go slow on the load. Bring your fins together, then extend your legs. Otherwise, you'll end up just rocking back and forth (sound familiar to anyone?).

Biggest thing is to just keep practicing ... seems like you'll get it right one day, then go out next time and just not be able to do it. This kick, more than any other, requires the development of muscle memory. Took me months to get to the point where I could "reverse on demand" ... then doubles happened ... :11:

BTW - if you look at my avatar, I'm backing away from the sponge in that picture.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
We call this "shrimp dancing" ... and those of you who've watched what happens when you swim too close to a shrimp will understand why ... :wink:)
That's me, just another shrimp on the barbie, although "dancing" would be bit generous, convulsing might be more accurate..
NWGratefulDiver:
At any rate, it's real common, and Uncle Pug's advice was the breakthrough for me.

The cause is that, although you feel like your toes are pointed straight back, they're not. They're pointed surfaceward to one degree or another. So that when you do your kick, you end up propelling yourself up as well as back.

The cure is to make yourself feel like your toes are pointed down. They won't be ... they'll be pointed straight back.
Never heard it explained that way, makes sense, I'll try it. Thanks Bob, and UP!
NWGratefulDiver:
The other most common problem is that people load up for the kick too fast. Go slow on the load. Bring your fins together, then extend your legs. Otherwise, you'll end up just rocking back and forth (sound familiar to anyone?).
I can do a reasonable facsmile of a back kick if I'm VERY deliberate in my movements, slow, slow , slow.
NWGratefulDiver:
Biggest thing is to just keep practicing ... seems like you'll get it right one day, then go out next time and just not be able to do it. This kick, more than any other, requires the development of muscle memory. Took me months to get to the point where I could "reverse on demand" ..

'nother reason to GO DIVING!

NWGratefulDiver:
then doubles happened ... :11:?).

It's a fact of life, doubles happen......

NWGratefulDiver:
BTW - if you look at my avatar, I'm backing away from the sponge in that picture.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back away from the songe and nobody gets hurt :D

Have a great Fourth!

Tobin

As Sog said the right boots are key, so are the right fins, and doing some leg lifts (outer thigh) as part of your exercise routine will help with endurance.

I'd rate myself as good. Singles, no problems. Doubles with drysuit, pretty good. Doubles with drysuit with stage and/or running the reel, decent but needs more finess.

I suck at it, but as Soggy and Mer have pointed out, my OS Systems suit has the vulcanized "fisherman's boots". As soon as I pick up my next suit, the first thing I'm going to do is have them replaced with turbosoles!

I had to go with "I could do better". Like others have said, I have my moments where it just all seems to gel, and then there are the other times....

Jason

One of the tips I give my students all the time, but for whatever reason they forget this when they get underwater ;-), is to remember to slightly cheat with your head pointing up. This makes step 2 of the kick a little easier to glide the fins from position 2 to position 3. If you keep your knees wide apart and cheat slightly by positioning your body slightly in the head up position, you'll find that the skill will come quicker. Once you learn the basics, then you'll more quickly be able to learn how to backward kick up or down..

Hope that helps..

Regards

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom