Back-Inflation vs. Jacket Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azza's right. don't try to make a back inflate do a 'life preserver', straight-up-and-down-in-the-water type of floating, tilt backwards and ride the back inflate like a little raft. try it just inflated enough to keep you nicely afloat, too, not pumped up to the max. (if you have to blow it up like a balloon, that's a big clue to use less weight next time. and being new, you might leave quite a bit of weight at the beach next dive, and more the next, etc.)

I agree with Babyduck especially on this. I dive a back inflate (BP/W) and found that I just add enough air to float. If I must float around on the surface then I just lay back with my fin tips just poking up...like a skier.

Like most have mentioned if you can try several BC's and pick the one you like best.

DrDuktayp

My last 3 BC's have all been back inflations. I had a Malibu, a Black Diamond and now my BP/W. Here is why you were floating on your face:

1 Most instructors have students dive overweight, and leave weight and trim to be learned later. I bet you are diving with at least 10% of your body weight, right?

2 Most students tend to dive heavy anyway. They like to "get down quicker".

3 When you do this, you are forced to add air to your BC to be neutral or float.

4 The combo of extra weight and more air= float on face

You should only be wearing the weight required for the dive, no more. If you have access to a pool, here is how to do it:

First, enter the pool wearing nothing but a mask, snorkle and swimsuit. Keep picking up weight until you start to sink when motionless. That is the weight for you.

Now take your wetsuit and place it on the bottom of the shallow end, use weight to hold it down. Remove 1 pound at a time until it starts to float. Add a pound back on. This is the weight for the wetsuit.

Add 4 pounds for aluminum tanks (AL80).

That is what you need for fresh water. Add weight equal to 2 1/2% of your body weight for salt water.

In the beginning, I would even try adding 1 or 2 pounds to the above numbers, until you get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom