Back-Inflation vs. Jacket Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rigel 7

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Are back-inflation BCDs the best way to go?!

My wife & I completed our PADI certification this past Sunday (in 45-degree Lake Tahoe, thank you very much) and are considering buying BCDs. Our dive shop STRONGLY recommends back-inflation BCDs, but of the BCDs I wore through class, the back-inflation type had me most uncomfortable, forcing me face-down and fighting to stay upright at the surface. I was miserable.

I'm now told that my back-inflation BCD probably wasn't weighted properly, but I can't for the life of me figure out how a back-inflation style BCD could ever be counter-balanced to fully correct this. Weights will always be located forward of the bladders, pitching the diver face-down at the surface. I'm sorry, but if I'm excessively tired, waiting for a boat, or already dealing with a bad situation, I don't want to be fighting my BCD for air.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Dave

hey dave...

you'll hear lots of opinions on the subject but here's two things you can take
to the bank:

1. what's important is what is comfortable to you; and

2. you were absolutely improperly weighted if the back inflate was forcing you face-down

i prefer a type of back-inflated BC called a backplate and wings (bp/w in case
you haven't heard of it), and i wouldn't dream of going back to jacket-style.

it's more comfortable, more streamlined, it makes it so much easier to control
trim and bouyancy, and, above all, i love it and it works for me. the backplate
helps spread the weight, and what little extra weight i need i wear on a tank
strap pockets and/or a weightbelt (usually i only need 2-4 extra pounds if
diving aluminum, depending on how much neoprene i am wearing). since
there's no weight in front, the "tipping" thing is not an issue.

i would suggest renting a few different models and trying them out and seeing
what makes sense to you.

don't rush to buy if you can at all try a few BC's and work on your weighting.

Rigel 7:
Hi all,

My wife & I completed our PADI certification this past Sunday (in 45-degree Lake Tahoe, thank you very much) and are considering buying BCDs. Our dive shop STRONGLY recommends back-inflation BCDs, but of the BCDs I wore through class, the back-inflation type had me most uncomfortable, forcing me face-down and fighting to stay upright at the surface. I was miserable.

I'm now told that my back-inflation BCD probably wasn't weighted properly, but I can't for the life of me figure out how a back-inflation style BCD could ever be counter-balanced to fully correct this. Weights will always be located forward of the bladders, pitching the diver face-down at the surface. I'm sorry, but if I'm excessively tired, waiting for a boat, or already dealing with a bad situation, I don't want to be fighting my BCD for air.

Dave

***Without doubt, H2Andy's #1 is the best advise you'll get.***

My wife and I just bought new BC's. I got a Zeagle Stiletto, rear inflation, she got an Oceanic Isla, jacket style. She love's her's, I love mine.

For me, there might be the slightest hint of a forward tilt. If the concept of the rear inflation intrigues you then you should try diving with one again.

If you want an unbiased opinion call ScubaToys. They sell all styles.

LOL.............

Rigel 7:
Hi all,

Dave

Hi Dave,

If weighted and trimmed properly, a back-inflate bc should not force you face down. What shop did you go through? If you would like some off line help, feel free to PM me and I'd be more than happy to help. By the way, how was Tahoe...we're heading up there tomorrow for some diving.

Good luck,

Rent a few times more a back inflate (until you make sure you're weighed/trimmed correctly) and then rent a few times a jacket style. After real world experience, then go out and buy the one you like. You don't have to buy one particular style, buy what suits you. My girl dove with back inflate at first and liked it, but for whatever reason now wants to try a jacket style. I'm having her rent until she clearly decides. Don't make an expensive decision hastily. You'll then have to go through the trouble of selling unwanted gear at a loss to you.

boomx5:
What shop did you go through?

We went through Sierra Dive Center in Reno and they've been terrific. Had I known to ask, we could've played with the weighting outside of class, but I instead asked for a "different" BCD, which they promptly provided.

boomx5:
By the way, how was Tahoe...we're heading up there tomorrow for some diving.

The weather has been pretty bad. It's been overcast w/ occassional snow/sleet ever since our final open water dive on Sunday. At that time, underwater visibility was 25'; air temp: 55 degrees. 1' swells.

That said, our instructors didn't seem to mind; but then, they were in dry suits....

Dave

uberspeed:
Rent a few times more....

Thank you, all, for the great advice.

Renting seems the logical choice. Our only sense of urgency was to perhaps have any new gear in time for our upcoming trip to Cozumel. It would be nice to have it before, rather than after. I guess we'll just have to go back. Darn!

Thanks again!!!

Dave

I am using Jacket and Back inflation BCs every weekend because I like both style.
Some people do not like the squeeze feeling on your torso in the Jacket style BC though. But, I like it. So, it is just personal preference.

I also took the same steps on the Back inflation when I tried it at the pool. After having the proper weight distribution, there has been nothing wrong at the surface. My buddy also took the same path

As you see, there are a lot of BP/W lovers this board. But, it is also their personal preference. There are two main factors you can consider, comfort and diving style.
Yes, I am also using BP/W that is mainly for the tech diving.

In my opinion, if you are going to stay in the sport diving area, either style is fine with you.

My 2 cents

Comfort is what comfort does. You don't necessarily have to give up a weight belt to go integrated. I dive a Zeagle (back inflate) and mix my weights between my belt and my B.C. I keep most of my weights in my belt (at the back) and the rest in the B.C.D. With a similar configuration, you would not have to drop "all" your weights in order to make an ascent in emergency conditions. Leo.

Gday Dave

It sounds like you were overweighted for the rear inflate to push you face down. My advice is to rent one and head out to a local beach or lake and do a proper buoyancy check and then see how you go. Also you can maybe not inflate it fully, you only need enough to float you, and try leaning back into it like an armchair.
As others have said, you dont have to have all your weight in the BCD either. I dive in cold water with a drysuit so I often need about 8-10 kilo's of weight. I put two in my weightbelt, four in my weight integration, and two on the top cam band. This trims me out spot on underwater and the two on the top cam band also help me lean back into it nicely. Quite comfy really, I just lean back and float around like I am sitting in my lazy boy at home :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom