Back Inflate vs BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Zeagle Ranger for diving the PAC NW drysuit diving and a Zeagle Stiletto for diving tropics in a 3mm or even just a rashguard.
Yeah, except remember that a Stiletto works just fine for NW diving.

Then once back onboard I use my power davit to hoist my rig up and over the gunnel.
The only concern I see with your boat is that you’re towing it with a Chevy instead of a Toyota. A Tundra pulled the space shuttle. Tech people use Tundras or maybe Tacomas, or definitely Hilux. That’s a known fact.

I'm sure that what some may consider problems are considered benefits or attributes by others

Just a matter of personal preference. I actually like the amount and locations of the D-Rings

I've used inflator hoses with pull dump on the elbow for MANY years with no issues. Might be because I rarely if ever use it. When dumping I typically hold my inflator mechanism up to insure that I am not leaving air in the hose. I also prefer a longer inflator hose.

There's a tradeoff between metal and composites. Composite buckles these days are extremely durable and reliable and I have never missed a dive because of plastic buckle cracking

The chest strap on my Ranger is vertically adjustable so once you know where your your inflator is than you can adjust accordingly and then it most definitely does NOT interfere. If you configure the chest strap on your BP/W harness directly over your inflator you'd have the exact same problem that you are stating.

Liking or hating the ripcord system is a personal preference. I personally have never used it on either my Ranger or Stiletto. If I felt the need to ditch weights then I would simply unzip the weight pockets and pull the pouches. I actually prefer this because it gives me the option of ditching only half of the weight in the integrated pockets. When diving from my boat I will typically pull the pouches and set them on the offshore bracket, then remove my entire rig and secure to my line puller via a custom strap around my tank valve. Then once back onboard I use my power davit to hoist my rig up and over the gunnel.

qkdiiri.jpg

I don't use a can light but can see nothing on either of my BC's that would prevent me from doing so. Also, both my left and right hip D-rings are free and clear to use however I want. I typically use my hip d-rings for an SMB and a DSMB when tropical........ and in the PNW I use one for my stringer and the other for a DSMB.

Super easy to add but I never felt the need. Question..... do BP/W crotch straps have a composite buckle / connector?

Yep.... Unlikely......but we all know that Murphy does come along with us on every dive.

Pretty much agreed and I rarely if ever use that valve.... Easy enough to just cap it off if it really bothers you.

I think that's subjective. My Ranger gives me the option of placing my total of 16lbs max of trim weight pockets near the top of my tank, near the bottom or anywhere in between. Basically same thing as a backplate.

I have no idea what that means.........

Cheers!
These are all actual problems and why no one’s using them for real tech diving. They aren’t features.

Yeah, except remember that a Stiletto works just fine for NW diving.
Yeah...pretty much agree.... but my Ranger is all set and dialed in for drysuit diving.
The only concern I see with your boat is that you’re towing it with a Chevy instead of a Toyota. A Tundra pulled the space shuttle. Tech people use Tundras or maybe Tacomas, or definitely Hilux. That’s a known fact.

LOL....... A Tacoma or Hilux would not be able to handle my boat without a lot of struggle...and almost certainly would not be able to stop it if quick braking was needed. A Tundra might work. My Chevy is a 2015 2500HD Duramax Turbo Diesel and is definitely the right tool for the job.

LOL....... A Tacoma or Hilux would not be able to handle my boat without a lot of struggle...and almost certainly would not be able to stop it if quick braking was needed. A Tundra might work. My Chevy is a 2015 2500HD Duramax Turbo Diesel and is definitely the right tool for the job.
You need the newer 2020+ for the 10 sp transmission. The added gears nice for towing any kind of real weight. I often have 11k lbon the hitch of our 2020 denali 3500 and it doesn't even care.

Yeah...pretty much agree.... but my Ranger is all set and dialed in for drysuit diving.

What boat do you have? My old boat, a 16.5 SeaRay with trailer, was about 1700 lbs, and we dragged that around with a 1985 Toyota 4WD pickup with a 4-banger.

These are all actual problems and why no one’s using them for real tech diving. They aren’t features.
By quoting only my responses without referencing your complaints that I responded to.........you are not showing the full picture.

I can also assure you that "REAL" tech diving has been happening since far before this thread ever occurred and far before the BP/W for some reason became a piece of equipment that some consider as "defining" you as a Tech Diver.

What boat do you have? My old boat, a 16.5 SeaRay with trailer, was about 1700 lbs, and we dragged that around with a 1985 Toyota 4WD pickup with a 4-banger.
Hey Kosta..... My boat is a 2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro and fully loaded with fuel (100 Gallon tank) and including trailer is about 7,000 lbs.

Hey Kosta..... My boat is a 2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro and fully loaded with fuel (100 Gallon tank) and including trailer is about 7,000 lbs.
Yeah, our Toyota pickup isn't going to make that budge, LOL

@NW Dive Dawg

I may have missed your answer to @wetb4igetinthewater ’s question about your current technical dives but my question is how many decompression bottles are you carrying on your technical dives?

Any stage bottles?

I felt that most folks that participate in the Tech Forum currently use a BPW set-up and prior to that at one time may have used a back mount BC........so I thought I could get some educated and quality answers.

In reading all of this so far it seems that the primary reasons for choosing the BPW's are: modularity, adjustability, overall expense and self repair. All good reasons.

My primary point was about whether or not the overall diving characteristics with everything, including weighting, all dialed in is really that much different. I will also say that one of the things that I like most about both of my Zeagles is the double tank straps... Everything feels stable and secure..

I also have another back mount cold water BC (Seaquest Black Diamond) that I don't use much anymore so I think I may sell it and then explore a BPW........just because I'm really curious as to why so many folks prefer them.

Thanks again for the input...
I use a STA with mine to push the tank just a little further out so the first stage doesnt bang my head. I also use two tank straps. The bottom one is an apeks/aqualung grip lock tank band so that I don't have to life the BP/W too high to put on my tanks. I also use Zeagle 10# weight pockets on each side that attach to the BP holes and waist webbing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom