Back Inflate vs BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My BP and wing are modular and simple. Harness is just webbing and some replaceable hardware. Backplate is HOG aluminum and wing is 19 lb Deep Six. I also have a 30 lb Dive Rite wing and a SS plate for cold water diving. I was going to leave it as one system with switchable components but ended up spending a few dollars on webbing and hardware to make a second system.

I like the flexibility, ease of fixing/replacement and the reduced cost of changes if something comes along that looks better than what I have now.

Good point Tracy......

But for my personal diving, both of my BC's already have the perfect, comfortable, and totally dialed in systems and weighting already in place with no need for alterations or adjustments needed.....,,,,so why would I ever change that just because a lot of folks on this forum push hard that a BPW is so far superior to a back inflate BC?

Good point Tracy......

But for my personal diving, both of my BC's already have the perfect, comfortable, and totally dialed in systems and weighting already in place with no need for alterations or adjustments needed.....,,,,so why would I ever change that just because a lot of folks on this forum push hard that a BPW is so far superior to a back inflate BC?
Who is forcing you to change?
I agree it is a superior system. It is all I use, train with, and sell. That said, I really don't care what anybody else uses.
When people come for advice, I advise them. I'm not flagging divers down at the quarry to preach about our lord and savior BPW.

Good point Tracy......

I thought the original question was interesting. I have a few BP/W and "regular " BC's and have used a back inflate BC I don't think there is such a big difference between a back inflate, regular Bc and BP/w for single tank diving.

I can tell you that I prefer some sort of comfort harness and a cross chest strap and I hardly ever put anything in a BC pocket and rarely used integrated weights. What really was annoying to me was a BP?W with a horseshoe bladder and a standrd HOG harness. Neither of those worked well for me. If the back inflate bc is stable and comfortable, I don't see what advantage an existing diver would gain from spending more money to buy another rig. The differences would probably be minimal.

For the new diver who wants to economize, wants to fine tune their harness, fine tune their bladder displacement and have the option of a heavy plate, well I can see some advantages to a BP/W.

Good point Tracy......

Why are you posting this in the Technical Diving forum?

Who is forcing you to change?
I agree it is a superior system. It is all I use, train with, and sell. That said, I really don't care what anybody else uses.
I don't sell it but I use and recommend it.

@NW Dive Dawg

Everyone has do determine what is right for them, even if they are wrong. It isn't my business.

Why do I like BP/W for teaching open water courses? I teach fully NB/T and being able to move 6 lbs onto the back is a plus for reducing weight needed.

My first BCD was a Beagle Ranger and I find (my opinion only) is that s BP/W results in a cleaner chest area.

When diving warm water in my 5 mil, I don't need any extra weight if I have my SS BP and STA.

I don't expect my wings ever to fail. I have replaced webbing, but that's easy and cheap, either from Seattle Fabrics on Aurora or if I'm too lazy, order online from DGX (where I get my hardware for it)

Back inflates are likely comparable, but a couple of my friends didn't like them and switched to a BP/W in the end. I don't remember their criticisms. Maybe it could work for me, but with the fact that I use a SS BP for both warm and cold single tank diving, I see no reason to investigate such an option. If I had the opportunity to try s back inflate, I would just for fun, but I wouldn't switch over as I need 6 lbs and I prefer to only rent cylinders when I shore dive somewhere warm.

I’m just wondering why there is all the hullabaloo over the difference and even animosity between a quality tech style back inflate BC as compared to a modular BP/W.

I've never encountered any animosity with divers between the two. I know some who use both for different dives they do. I have buddies that dive BP/W whereas I prefer my BCD. BTW these things have been discussed in other threads on SB already where our opinions for each are known. Divers use whatever kit they want to use. I've used BP/W before but I prefer my BCD. However I will be diving BP/W on my TDI ANDP training course and on later deco dives. I can sling an AL80 with my BCD but back twins or side mount might be better for some deco dives.

Of course if I want longer deco dive times I have a solution for that as well.

BIG TANKS 2.jpg

My first BCD was a Beagle Ranger and I find (my opinion only) is that s BP/W results in a cleaner chest area.

My Scubapro X Black keeps my chest area free just the small strap across. Unfortunately when people take photos of me side on my shape looks far worse lol When were were diving in Lombok Indonesia at all the local eateries they were telling me I must be rich as fat people are rich lol

JOY AND ME.jpg

P9180256.JPG

quality tech style back inflate BC as compared to a modular BP/W.
IMO, BPW is mostly about modularity, and recommendation. If you only have once BCD, a BPW lets you swap stuff around, experiment, etc.

However, the BPW recommendation is just a recommendation, which means the are exceptions and alternatives. If you have a (non BPW) BCD that works very well for you, checks the boxes, and does the job go for it!

As a DIY SideMount guy, I've tried all kinds of weird BCD setups, and eventually found something that works for me, which includes a nylon backplate, and a few other pieces that probably weren't designed to go together, but seem to work great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom