Back inflate BC's in the tropics??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Answer to the question....nobody really cares what system you a are using...

But as an instructor I definately prefer a stab jacket for me...on the surface, the back inflate system always has the face down tendancy, even partially inflated...When I need to talk with my students or assist them in any way, the back system is a pain to work with. Rescues are more difficult to accomplish. In high seas the face down tendancy is more pronounced.

Finally, in the ocean there is always a chance you will be floating a long time especially drift diving.

Among the people I dive with, I would say jackets are more common than back-inflates. Then again, I'm not sure most of people I dive with could explain the difference.

IMO, the style of your BC is not a big deal in the tropics. A diveskin or 3mm shortie wetsuit doesn't compress significantly, so you shouldn't ever need to put significant amounts of air in your BC while underwater. Thus the 'air on your back' design of a back-inflate BC isn't as much of an advantage as it is in colder water. OTOH, you should carry a safety sausage (SMB) and torch, so pockets are an asset. Personally I'd rather wear a jacket-style BC and have my bits and pieces neatly tucked away than use a back-inflate and have everything dangling.

You should wear whatever style of BC you find comfortable. No-one is going to spend much time looking at it... there is too much else to see at the Similans!

Shanhai, when I dived at Tulamben, we were told to remove the weights from weight-integrated BCs and carry them ourselves (just as the people with weight belts carry their own weights).

Zept

From what I've seen, more people dive using jacket style BC's over here. In the group of divers I usually dive with, there are only 3 out of about 15 who have a back inflate BC.

What I said about back inflate BC's being heavier....I think this may be the case here in the tropcis because many use a lighter "tropic weight" BC, and a lot of times, they are soft packs, since single tank dives are more the norm.

Regarding pockets and dangling gear....Zeagle makes a nice add on pocket that attaches to the cummerbund of the BC which makes it easier to actually access the pocket, since it is in front of you rather than on the sides in an awkward position.

From the point of view as a dive shop owner, I can tell you that at least here in Taiwan, the margins are better for jacket style BC's since I can get a better price on them from the distributor, whereas back inflate sales volumes are smaller, so prices tend to be more rigid. This will also attribute to the higher percentage of jacket style BC's.

The poor lady that was carrying my BC...if only the dive shop would have told me. But then again, I am glad she was willing to carry the weights, since my hands were occupied with the video camera.

what does it matter what others are wearing - wear what works for you. I took my SP Rec Tek on a Similian liveaboard and was the only guest with a back inflate - but then most of the others were renting and that's what they got handed.

I got a few tekkie comments, but that was mainly because I had my own SMB! Tekkie - I think not, well not for that reason. I've carried an SMB since my AOW. Or maybe it was the reel I used rather than the 6m of string on the loaners....

You'll probably find the dive guides interested in any new shiny stuff.

Have a great holiday and don't forget a trip report when you egt back....

Jonathan

Back inflate BC's are becoming more common around the dive sites in Africa.
I dive a ScubaPro REC-Tek in the warm Indian Ocean on the South-African and Mozambiquan coast and it works brilliantly. If weighted correctly I need so little air in the BC it doesn't prevent me from being in any position I choose to be in (horizontal, vertical, upside down).
It also doesn't push me face down on the surface if I do not inflate too much.

Use what you prefer and enjoy.

My back inflate BC worked great in the Similans last year
and I got several photos of Mantas.

If you can get on a trip to Richieliu Rock, this is where there is some great diving.

99.9% of rental gear is jacket. The 0.1% is for specialty tek shops that offer doubles and extended range diving.

jackets dominate. some use back inflates. i myself use a stainless steel bp with a travel wing for singles. if i have to travel, though, and leave my pack behind i'd have no trouble adjusting back to a jacket.

one should be able to use both setups with ease and confidence.

cheers!

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom