Back inflate BC's in the tropics??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cando

Reaction score
Hey guys

I was wondring if anyone could tell me if back inflate BC's are common or appropriate for tropical waters. Do you see alot of divers use back inflate BC's more so that Jacket style?

The reason i ask is because I am purchasing a new BC (and i happen to be going on a liveaboard to the similans this april), and i would like to try a back inflate BC (i have only tried jacket style)...but i have heard so many people say back inflate BC's are not really appropriate for warm water diving especially if you want to swim sideways on a wall or even upseide down to see those amazing manta's and whale sharks. I know back inflates are hard to control on the surface, but im not too worried about that as i can shift my wieghts accordingly.

Just thought I'd ask what everyone thinks about this? Anyone dive around Asia regularly with a back inflate and has no problems at all? Do you guys find it hard to swim sideways, take photo's or even swim upside down in a back inflate??

Anyone prefer the jacket style for tropical diving? And why?

Thanks alot

I've seen alot of mantas and never had to swim upside down.

There are many discussion concerning use of bc's on the board, and this has been debated many times. If you do a search in the buoyancy compensator forum you'll find lots to read as it has nothing to do with location.

Most of your statements are incorrect concerning what is appropriate for what, as it makes little difference one way or the other. You are not wrong, just apparently lacking in exposure to different equipment.

There is also no need to swim sideways, or upside down, or ever crosswise :)

Read through the posts, then you may have more specific questions to ask.

MD

I,ve been reading alot of posts for the past month! And yes some have helped, some havent and some have been very misleading and incorrect, but i just wanted to see what the norm was in Asia and if people diving around those parts see alot more jacket style than back inflate BC's. Maybe i should have set it up as a poll instead of a question, but i just wanted to see what was more common for those who regularly dive in the tropics.

As for swiming sideways or upside down, I realize i dont have to, but its my preference to be in those orientations in certain situations (no i dont swim upside down regularly!). I also like to do underwater photography so being in weird posititons underwater is sometimes a necessity, and i just wanted to know if it was easy to achieve those positions with a back inflate.

As for exposure to different equipment, you are right...I have only tried jacket style BC's, hence my question that i have posted here.

Thanks

I use a back inflate in the Caribbean, Zeagle Scout to be specific. As long as my weighting and trim are right, (and therefore I have almost no air in my BC) I don't have any trouble using it. I get into some strange positions doing Macro photo and don't have a problem. At the surface, just don't over inflate the BC and you will be fine. As to the norm in Asia, personally, I would not worry about that. Use the BC that you are most comfortable in and like the most. I own and have used both jacket and back inflates. I much prefer the back inflate.

Cando,
Less a month ago I got back home after a week on a live-aboard in Andaman Sea.
I was diving Transpac II, and, incidentally, our divemaster/guide had a back-inflate BC (some flavor of SP) too.

No, it is not uncommon or unusual to see such BCs in tropical waters.

Regards.

BTW, the diving was exceptional. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

I've never seen one in Asia but then again, I haven't met any Asians who have heard of DIR. I bought a jacket style BC but now I'm wondering if I was too hasty. It's since popped in my head that I might like to add a second tank to my setup one of these days and basically I'm SOL with my current BC. I can't tell you what to do. I love my BC but it may mean having to buy another one down the road which means extra cost and also having to get used to a really different piece of gear.

thanks to everyone for their opinions......

I think i'm gonna go ahead and take the plunge. Besides, my LDS offered me a deal i coudnt resist. After i return from Thailand and all my diving, if i really hated the SP knighthawk, he would exchange it for a jacket style BC instead......so really i cant lose (I need a new BC either way).

Cant wait to dive the Similans!!! 3 more weeks to go!!!

Thanks

Strange how nobody from our side of the world replied to your question. I dive using a Zeagle BC and have had no problems at all. You'll find that most people out here don't really care what gear you use.

Because back inflated BC's tend to be heavier than a normal jacket style BC, the only "problem" that I have had with using a back inflated BC was that the tank caddies in Tulamben, Bali didn't want to carry my BC/tank. My outfit was always the last out to the divesite and the last back to the diveshop. But I think that would be the case for any weight integrated BC.

thank you shanhai.....

It wasnt that i was concerned about what people would think if i had a back inflate BC in Asia, it was more a question to see what was more common out there. Usually if something is more common by a large margin then you can assume there is a good reason for it (ie: if jackets are preffered in warm water etc...). Although i admit that is not always the case, but i thought i'd ask anyways.

Thanks

Ps: Back inflates are heavier than jackets? I found the opposite, but then again it depends what BC we are talking about as all are different.

To answer a few of the questions:

My first BC was a jacket. I switched to a TransPac II after my BCD developed a rip in the pocket. It was purely cosmetic, but it was under warranty so I upgraded for very little $$ after about two dozen dives.

I have loved my TPII. I have seen some people talk about stability problems with it, etc. I have found that diving it bare (just swim trunks) it does tend to slide around on your body a little, but with even a 3 mil shorty, it's fine. I loved the back inflate.

Once I got used to the characteristics of the wings, you can swim in any position. Its easier to hover in one position, I can roll onto my side and swim along a wall, and even float on my back, looking up at the surface.

I understand exactly what you mean about looking at things while you are on your back, it's amazing what passes above you sometimes that you never woulda seen...

I have done a fair amount of diving in the Carribean and have seen several others using back inflation. They aren't quite as common as jacket style, but they arent an oddity either.

In my experience, the back inflate is generally lighter than a jacket BC. The difference is that some of them (like the TPII) use integrated weight pouches, so the weight stays on the rig. Of course there are some jackets like that as well.

Weight belts could be worn with either, but I found that I dont care for a weight belt when using a back inflate.

One piece of advice. If possible, get something that can grow with you if your diving needs change. For example, if you go with a back inflate, can you change the wing to a larger one if you someday decide to go to bigger tanks or doubles?

I have ended up with a backplate/wings system for primarily that reason. Extreme amount of flexibility and amazingly comfortable in the water, although looking at one in the store you would never believe it.

Back
Top Bottom