Back in SE Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just did a week on the Cayman Aggressor V, nice boat, good crew, diving was a bit disappointing. Very glad to be back home in Florida. Dived with JDC on Friday, a two tanker as one of their boats is out of the water. Dived with Loggerhead out of Boynton yesterday, and went out with Narcosis in West Palm today. Did the Jupiter Wreck trek and Tunnels with JDC, Lemons and GG (photos below). Did a great dive on 007 at the southern BB reef with a crossover to Gulfstream and an inside reef at Castle Ledge. Did the Governor's Riverwalk and 60s Rock with Narcosis today, The current was ripping on the wrecks.

upload_2018-12-9_15-17-38.png

Nice toothy grin!

upload_2018-12-9_15-18-31.png

Welcome back scubadada. Sorry that the diving in Cayman did not meet your expectations. I presume that the Aggressor did not make the crossing to Little Cayman, because that usually results in a group of happy divers.

I don’t recall if you are interested in diving beyond recreational limits, but if so, Pompano Dive Center has a trip to the Hydro Atlantic on the schedule for this coming Friday morning. I dived the site yesterday and it was an almost perfect outing, aside from the rather sporty seas making climbing the ladder a bit of a challenge. Hope to see you aboard a local boat in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, Cayman was OK. We got to Little Cayman for 2 1/2 days before the weather turned. I would just prefer to dive the Caymans from land. The Aggressor often did two dives from the same mooring, I appreciate the diversity from land-based dives. Some of the choices were dictated by the presence of a two pin mooring, somewhat limiting. It certainly was an easy way to get in 24 dives in 6 days. I have been to Grand Cayman many times, Little Cayman twice, and Cayman Brac only once.

I have said this many times, the diversity, number, and size of the reef fish in SE Florida, particularly Boynton Beach, is significantly greater than in the Caymans. Of course, we can't compete with the gorgeous walls in the Caymans. Locations tend to be complimentary, something for everyone.

Kevin Metz and Underwater Explorers has a 3 tanker out of Boynton Beach on Friday, starting at the Castor. It would be great to see some of you on this trip.

Come down to Turks and caicos!
A whole bunch of new dive sites with moorings just created by the northwest point. Tons of very curious reef sharks and turtles galore! Water temp is 84 and viz is great!

..Nice toothy grin!

I love the teeth on the lemon's, it's like telling a little kid "Say Cheese" cause they look like a row of human teeth.

...I have said this many times, the diversity, number, and size of the reef fish in SE Florida, particularly Boynton Beach, is significantly greater...

And when you factor in how incredibly CHEAP compared to other locations, you gotta love South East Florida for BIG FISH !!

We hear guests with the same concerns about the Aggressor experience being too limited in Cayman. Some locations really lend themselves to a Liveaboard experience but for me Cayman is not one of them and while I don’t mind doing back to back dives on the same site it does seem a bit of a waste to be forced into it when there are so many easily available moorings to choose from. I suppose if you are looking for quantity rather than quality it works but it is not everyone’s choice. We have folks that do both am and pm 2Ts and still have time to check out a diversity of great restaurants and/or chill in the comforts of a condo with plenty of room to spread out, so there would have to be a major plus above and beyond on the dive sites offered to make it work for us. In a location like The Galapagos the livaboard experience is the only way to go!

If I hadn't been quite familiar with the Caymans from many visits since the mid-90s, I would have had a much more favorable impression. The sites off Little Cayman were quite good. Off Grand Cayman, Babylon was excellent and the Kittiwake was better than I expected, especially with its proximity to the reef and Sand Chute.

I have a nonstop flight to Georgetown from Philadelphia and got a 35% discount on the Aggressor. The boat and crew were great. This was a fun, relatively inexpensive trip with a lot of good diving

However, there's no place like home :)

Kevin Metz and Underwater Explorers has a 3 tanker out of Boynton Beach on Friday, starting at the Castor. It would be great to see some of you on this trip.

Im going to think about that one. Would be a perfect dive with my scooter. But, this time of year I wait till very close when the forecast is reliable, as I have no interest in 5-6 foot seas.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom