Back from Turks and Caicos - dove with Caicos Adventures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beaches tends to run a more "newbie" oriented dive program. They don't go to the best sites and sometimes dive right out front of the resort. Caicos Adventures and Provo Turtle Divers cater to a la carte divers who are looking for a refined non-restrictive dive experience. They don't limit bottom times and let you do your own thing. They both pick up at the major resorts. I personally prefer Caicos Adventures but I count the owner as a friend so I may be jaded. Note what was said above though. . .your "morning dive" can stretch from 8:30 am pickup to a 2:30 p.m. drop off. If you do the three tank you will be back before dinner. Make sure the wife is down with that before you book a lot of dives.

KidK9:
We stayed at Beaches. Food was good, but WAY too many children (and amateur parents). I wouldnt go back to a Beaches if that many kids were gonna be there. I like kids....but there's a line as to how many. When you're eating dinner to the constant cadence of 4 kids crying in unison...it gets old.

If you want to avoid the kids consider renting a condo or villa next time and eating late and away from the resorts.

KidK9:
Hey all, I just got back from a week of R&R at Turks and Caicos. I dove with Caicos Adventures and the diving was amazing. I did 7 dives - Tons of Sponge Reef (2), The Scoop, West Tower, Melissa's Cove, Orange Wall, and Razor's Edge.

Thanks for the report! Heading to T&C in early February, staying at Royal West Indies, and have 10 dives (over 7 days) booked with Caicos Adventures. Was already excited having heard from everyone Grace Bay beach is amazing but from your description of how much you saw underwater I am looking forward to the trip even more!! Can't wait to see your pictures...

Were you interested in doing any Night dives while you were there? I was hoping to do at least one, but you can't book it until you get there. Was wondering if it was difficult to schedule or anything with them?

I heard nothing good about the diving with Beaches. Apparently, you have to geth their first come, first serve in the morning, they sign people up, then take them right outside the resort, drop you on a semi-dead reef, limit your time to 25 minutes, then bring you back in and pickup the next group. They get back around noon (for the first pickup).

Caicos Adventures is a different ballgame. However...as others have said - they will get back to the resort around 230-300 for a 2 tanker and I got back to the resort at 600 for a 3 tanker.

laurendell:
Thanks for the report! Heading to T&C in early February, staying at Royal West Indies, and have 10 dives (over 7 days) booked with Caicos Adventures. Was already excited having heard from everyone Grace Bay beach is amazing but from your description of how much you saw underwater I am looking forward to the trip even more!! Can't wait to see your pictures...

Were you interested in doing any Night dives while you were there? I was hoping to do at least one, but you can't book it until you get there. Was wondering if it was difficult to schedule or anything with them?

I was there in October. I'll start a gallery and upload some pictures that include the beach. You can't laugh at my underwater pictures though. It was my first attempt and I couldn't get the crummy flash to work on the camera. I stayed at the Ocean Club. It's not far from the RWI.

I'm definitely going to check out Caicos Adventures. One question for those who have dove with them in the past -- how many divers on the boat?

sdwho

I must agree, Beaches is all inclusive, and the food was great..........

Note: They let you do a pool session to checkup on your skills the day before you dive. Extremely safe operation.

colby:
I was there in October. I'll start a gallery and upload some pictures that include the beach. You can't laugh at my underwater pictures though. It was my first attempt and I couldn't get the crummy flash to work on the camera. I stayed at the Ocean Club. It's not far from the RWI.

Here they are:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/53900/cat/500

Remember no laughing, although helpful critism is always welcome :)

colby:
Here they are:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/53900/cat/500

Remember no laughing, although helpful critism is always welcome :)

haha, I liked them! You should have seen the ones I took with a disposable in Belize. They were all neon blue and going through them was like "um.... that looks like a fish there.... might be a rock though....."

The last one of the beach almost made me cry (particularly looking at it from my cubicle) :D

laurendell:
haha, I liked them! You should have seen the ones I took with a disposable in Belize. They were all neon blue and going through them was like "um.... that looks like a fish there.... might be a rock though....."

The last one of the beach almost made me cry (particularly looking at it from my cubicle) :D

It was freezing rain here last night, I feel your pain. The underwater pictures were actually all neon blue until I did some research and fixed them using the Mandrake method:

http://www.scubaboard.com/cms/browse14.html

Here's a before and after. (Photoshop is great!)

Back
Top Bottom