Back from Cozumel -- what an adventure!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquagal

Reaction score
Just returned late last night from my first trip to Cozumel. I had a fantastic time! I thoroughly enjoyed the diving. My buddy for a majority of the dives is an instructor and he really helped me improve my skills.

This was my first time ever in warm water, diving from a boat and I did my first night dive! Very cool!

We dove Santa Rosa reef , Yocab, Palancar caves, Devil's throat, Columbia shallows, Tormentos and the wreck Xi Co Tencatl. Santa Rosa reef (the top) was my favorite because I got to swim along with a sea turtle for a bit.

The water was very warm 84-86F. I wore a .5 mm wetsuit and was perfectly comfortable. Most of our group wore 3mm and felt too warm. We averaged 80-130 vis which I thought was phenomenal but several of the veterans said they'd had better. It rained almost every night the run-off affected the vis. The best vis I'd been in until then was 30-40 feet; I couldn't complain.

We dove with Dive Cozumel - it was a nice operation. We had 10 divers on a nice fast boat. We also had 4 children on board who snorkled during our SI. (They did get a bit bored while we were diving.) We had a DM as a leader and then a 'last' pair. We didn't have to surface as a group except when we dove Devil's throat.

We did 5 days of two dives a day and one night dive. The night dive was amazing. It didn't seem like we were in water. The atmosphere reminded me of movie special effects where they use smoke to simulate being underwater. There was a full moon and my buddy and I hardly used our flashlights. There were also a lot of divers around and we could see pretty well by their lights.

We did have a frightening experience which we were very lucky turned out OK. During the night dive one of our group experienced a non-dive related medical emergency. She didn't panic, and calmly let her buddy know she needed to surface. Her buddy got her to the surface, summoned the boat (it did take our boat a few minutes to realize it was their diver in distress - there were 5 other dive boats over that reef), got her on O2, took her to shore and to a waiting ambulance. The rest of us never knew anything was wrong. We completed our dive about 45 minutes later and the boat picked us up. We thought this pair was still in the water until the crew calmly informed us they were on shore. Had we been further from shore the boat would have rousted us but even this would have delayed her getting medical care.

Fortunatly her buddy was an EMT and spoke Spanish. He knew immediately what was wrong and had to convince the ambulance she didn't need to go to the chamber. She got treated and ended up having to stay a few days at the American hospital clinic; she said they took excellent care of her. I really admire how calm and brave she was throughout her ordeal.

She was able to join us back at the hotel two days before we left. We felt bad for her not being able to dive the rest of the trip and we were extremely happy she's ok.

Yes, this trip was an adventure. For the most part we all had a very good time and hope to return soon.

We stayed at the Park Royal. It was a beautiful resort but I don't know if we'll stay there again. It was mediocre and I think we can do better next time. It was nice that they have a kids play area. They also have 2 restaurants and a swim up snack bar. The service was intermitent and the walls very thin. Nice beach & dock but you'll need earplugs if you want to get any sleep. They did have a small clothesline on the patio and in the bathtub but with two people in a room there wasn't enough room to hang wet stuff.

The food was OK. The fancy restaurant had very good food & the snack bar was decent but the regular restaurant was more like cafeteria food.

The location seemed good -- only $5.00 U.S. one way into San Miguel.

Aquagal

Nice report. I have stayed at the Park Royal, and agree with everythig you said. I stayed at Plaza Las Glorias last time, and liked it much better.
So far everyone I have ever known, wants to go back to Cozumel, or has, since being there. Now we can add you to the list!
Thanks for the report.

Glad your friend is O.K. and was experienced enough not to panic.

Punta Sur is a neat dive, huh? :D

I'm still trying to find a soft bed in Coz, El Presidente maybe? $$$$$ It was kinda strange cutting off of the new road and seeing Presidente on the "old" road now.

May I make a few suggestions for restaraunts the "next" time you're there?

Prima
La Choza
Santiago's
Acuario's
Capi Navegante
La Mission
And several others

If you rent a car try Punta Moreno restaraunt and others on the windy side. That's the fun of exploring. :wink:

Again, glad everyone is O.K., had fun, and made it home fine; that's what matters.

Next time you go stay at the Presidente. Definately the best hotel on the island and worth every penny. A little more expensive than the others but it's paradise!! Check it out. I've been going down there for years, went to the Presidente twice last year and am always pleased.

My favorite restaurant in Coz is definitely La Cocay....they call it Mediterranean food....but I just call it wonderful food. They're a bit more expensive than some of the other places around, but soooo worth it.

I'm in Coz 6 times a month...if you're going to be there, let me know and maybe we can grab a dive together.

Peace,
Cathie

Hey Aquagal!

Thanks for the spectacular trip report! With poor Colorado in such a drought that local reservoirs are closing to diving, it is great to hear about your experience!

Night diving is a little more exciting than day diving here (with our vis here on a good day at 20 feet and on a bad 0-5) but the vis is similar.

Thanks again for the great info!

Bliss and Bubbles,

Jeff

I know what you mean Jeff! I went diving today for the first time since returning from Cozumel. Oh how I miss that clear warm water! Our best vis today was 25-30 feet and we had to get below 30 feet to get that.

The Monterey bay was pretty warm at the surface - 59F. I was actually warm on the surface and thought "Hey, this isn't so bad". 5 minutes on the bottom at 55F and I was COLD. I dive in a 7mm wetsuit, this was my 7th dive in the bay and on the previous 6 I was never cold. On two of those six the temp was 53F. Yikes! Has Cozumel ruined me for temperate water???

The Bay vis was horrible; I couldn't see my buddy at all once he was a few feet away. After about 25 feet things cleared up but alas, not nearly as good as Coz. However, we did get to see lots of nudebranchs, anenomes and play nicely with a small octopus.

On our second dive the vis was worse and we ended up using my octo as a buddy tether. Our dive lights weren't much help either. Despite the sucky vis and cold I still had a good time. Great exersize in navigation.

I'm hoping to return to Cozumel next year! Until then, I'll stay cool :shades:

Luisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom