Back from Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissAD, I have to go along with Jelly on this one. Your post inferred that you had witnessed these problems first hand.

Now it comes out that it was all hearsay and innuendo.

If it didn't happen to you or you didn't personally interview people to whom this allegedly happened, then I suggest you refrain from posting these types of msgs.

Not only are you casting doubt on your own veracity, but you are leaving yourself open for legal action from people you may have liabelled/slandered.

This board is a powerful medium. Please use it wisely.

~SubMariner~

I've been to the Caymans about 8 times since 1997 and have been diving with Bob Sotos the entire time. So I do have first hand experience with the dive shop. The guys who work for Sotos are great! They know diving and always try to make sure you have a fun, safe dive. I've never been on a boat that broke down while we were out diving and I can also tell you that the buses that pick up divers at the hotels are taking the divers to more than one boat so the boats are not cattle boats. If you are thinking of going to the Caymans, Bob Sotos is a good dive shop to try out. And if someone has questions then I would ask a diver who has actually gone diving with Bob Sotos.

I'm sorry MissAmber didn't enjoy the Treasure Island but from my perspective there is nothing wrong with them or Bob Soto's, I dove and stayed there last August and gave her a review on each prior to her leaving. Everyone likes and dislikes different things and that is what makes this board great but guess I will come to the defense of both of them, some is in what you expect and the price you pay.

With regards to Bob Soto's, they were great, can't rate them by a couple of kids in their hotel shop. That isn't even the main shop from what I could see as there was another store by the boats, closer to downtown. I found that there was one person in the hotel shop that new what was going on the others were stocking and running the register. For the most part they were so busy I can see where it would be hard to get the proper information at times. As far as diving is concerned they were great! I have dove with dive shops in Dominican Republic, St. Lucia, St. John, Curacao, BVI... They let advanced divers with computers have as much bottom time as we wanted, just come up with 500psi, we could tag with the group or go off on our own. The boats were more crowded than I'm use to but not bad and they were good size boats. Mechanically they were fine and yes the buses were packed but it was all good fun and generally multiple boats waiting, everyone laughed about it. Just hug your buddy :cheers:

Treasure Island use to be an old Ramada, I went there expecting a dump but the price was right and I was going to Curacao for a week afterwards so who cared :wink:. When I got there I was pleasantly surprised. Lobby was nice, with decent restaurants. Rooms were actually fairly big but old. Floors a bit gray from use and bathrooms old but hey, we were there to dive and the price was cheap. It is also in a great location to walk to downtown and the LoneStar Bar and Grill, what more could you want :D .

If you figure I paid $900 for 6 nights and 5 full days of diving, including a night dive, with full round trip from Miami that works out to about $70/day for the room, I have paid over $100 for a Comfort Inn? You could opt for the Hyatt at $250-350/night but why? I'm actually use to staying in places at that rate but was very happy saving the money and walking next door :) .

So if you go to the Cayman's and stay at Treasure Island just note that it is your typical classed up Ramada and you won't be disappointed. Ramada's are well trafficated and tend to be a bit worn but inexpensive. Enjoy the people and diving, they were the best!

Hope to see some of you in Bonaire in Sept!!!

Originally posted by Jelly
[

Then a post is made with a reply from someone at the company, pointing out what DID happen that day you were sitting in the lobby, and strangely you get quiet?

I don't know what you mean by strangely I got quiet. I replied to the post.

Judging from the response from Ms Day (who I actually have met ) gave, I would give the benefit of the doubt to the company, who were professional enough to give a reply, over MissAmberDiva's The Sky Is Falling rantings.

I did state what I witnessed and what I did not and what I was told when I spoke to the divers on the van. I don't believe I was ranting that the sky was falling. I was giving information. I was clear about it and did not make innuendos. Some may like what I say...Some may not. And that's fine.

Let's not forget the definition of a diva. :) [/B]

As for that statement, I do not come on this board and take cheap shots at people for things that are posted. People can give their opinion and I will never be rude or smart aleck to them about it.

Businesses are open to the public for cheers and jeers like it or not. Whether or not the Treasure island branch is the main store, the employees are still representing the company. When I go into any specialty type of store, whether it be a dive shop, camera shop, or a flower shop, I do expect the employees to act professional and to be able to answer my questions about their products.

It's like this...Don't shoot the messenger...I am reporting what I observed, witnessed, saw with my own eyes, heard, listened to...all of it. And personally, I would not dive with them. Yes, I thought the employees were arrogant and ignorant. And that's my opinion. Don't jump down my throat for what I think. As I said before I would never do that to anyone else on this board.

And I am not looking for a fight and I am not going to argue this back and forth. I won't retract what I said....because everything I said did happen, whether I saw it or spoke with someone about it. I never said I was on the boat. I never said I did a dive with them. I did say I am glad I didn't. I am happy with the dive shop that I went with. I never inferred I was on a sinking boat! I spoke with hotel patrons who came back from that particular dive. I am telling the board what I was told. And anyone can do with the information on this board as they please. And that's ok! People can make their own decisions on where and where not to do business.

Those were just my experiences as a whole on the island. Thought I would share. Actually this thread was dormant for a long time, I didn't think anyone really cared:shaking: And then I get on here and boom:boom: ! There's all kinds of replies.

Anyway, I respect people's opinions even if they disagree with mine. All I ask is to discuss things like two people would face to face. That's all I expect. Because on boards like this it can get out of hand and turn into a free for all of cheap shots and smart remarks and that's not something I want to be a part of.

Amber

I got back from Grand Cayman 2 weeks ago--had a package deal with Seaview Hotel and Bob Soto's. The dive boats were just fine with plenty of room. Unfortunately, most of the dives qualified as cattle boats with up to 19 customers. The staff on the boats and the staff at the Lobster pot (their shop in George Town where the boats are) were knowledgeable & helpful. One observant dive master noticed my buddy's BC had a problem with the inflation mechanism just before he giant strided (strode?) into the water. The dive master was able to figure out that a piece had become unscrewed, found the parts & saved the dive.

On the other hand, good employees are hard to come by, so some of the Soto's staff at their Treasure Island shop were a bit rude, and one of the employees at their Seaview shop wasn't even a diver but boy could she use a cell phone. FYI Soto's shop at Seaview has been sold to an independent company with the change-over now in effect.

As for our hotel, a very serviceable little place, but not for those seeking luxury (who cares when the most important stuff is underwater). The hotel restaurant Naked Fish has terrific food at reasonable-for-Cayman prices. Try their fabulous calamari! Along with a salad it's a meal. Several locals & dive masters mentioned they eat there often. Cimboco is also worth a taxi ride for an inexpensive wood-fired oven pizza or pasta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom