Baby Shampoo vs Mask Defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the early 90's Scubapro had a no fog called Spectrum ar beris or something like that. It worked well as long as you followed the directions.

I get the feeling that it was toxic and caused your eyes to melt or something because I can't find it anywhere now. I'm guessing it's discontinued.

I found when I started working a boat that a 3 gallon bucket with a couple caps is baby shampoo and water worked better. People just dunked their masks before going in the water and they were golden. No problem. It's all I use now. I just wish it was un-sented. I don't like the baby smell.

Few weeks ago I went diving and on the the way to the dive site I realized that I forgot my Sea-drops in the dive locker at the pool that was too far to go back. I stopped by a pharmacy on the way to the dive site and bought a baby shampoo and used it full strength without dilution, a couple of small drops, and it worked great no issues at all. I didn't rinse it right away, it actually stayed on the mask to dry for a little while when I was lugging equipment to the entry point, parking the car, getting suited up, etc. I flooded my mask and cleared it upon entry in the water and there were no issues at all the entire dive. I put in extra care to rinse the mask properly after the dive to make sure that I remove any residues from the shampoo (I am not sure if there were any).

This was the first time I have ever done this and I'll most likely continue to do it considering that it is very difficult and extremely expensive to buy anti-fog solutions in Libya when baby shampoo is readily available and costs about 1/10th the price.

A travel size bottle of Baby Shampoo is small, cheap, and lasts forever. And it works.
Two drops and rub it in with my thumb. Fill the mask with water and let it set. Just before jumping I rub in the solution until the glass squeeks. Rinse well. I do this every dive. If I skip a treatment I'll regret it.
Nothing is more annoying to me than a fogged up mask.

I beg don't waste money on fancy defog...Baby Shampoo is the best...I used to keep it on me for long shore dives in Hawaii and it was funny when I would pass snorkelers who were having fogging issues, I would just share some. They were super happy. I also take them on liveaboards and now on any boat dives I do on the east coast...

The real question here, and one that never receives much attention, is can I wash my kids' hair with commercial defogger?

I could try to do that but my my kids are over 30. May not go down too well.

We can't speak to other commercial defogs but you could certainly do it with ours! :wink: Of course, we recommend our Shampoo and Bodywash 3-in-1 | Stream2Sea as a better option - though it is not a tear-free formula.

My daughter and family just installed a new built in pool due to COVID-19 and the local pools being almost closed. It's not totally finished (concrete pad, fence around the yard, etc.) but yesterday we went for the initial swim.

The wife and I had our masks and snorkels plus me using a pair of ancient but pliable US Divers Otarie full foot fins.

I have RX in 2 Atomic Subframe masks plus one Sherwood Magnum 2 mask. The wife has her tried and true Seavision Sherwood Magnum 2 style mask.

I've tried all manner of defog in 50 years diving. Yesterday I also brought baby shampoo in a travel sized bottle. I prepped our masks with the commercial defog first (granted it was 89F here and the water was in the 80s) and both our masks fogged no matter what :(

Applied the baby shampoo inside and even out, scrubbed it in and rinsed.

Voila'! ZERO fogging for 3 + hours :) I applied it in the grandson's el cheapo' mask plus a couple neighborhood kid's cheap masks and it worked like a charm on all :)

I think I'll be giving away my last bottles of commercial defog on my next trip, LOL......

Search function could reveal a lot here. This could just possibly be a new contender for most discussed topic after Covid in 2020.

It works well diluted or straight from the bottle. Actually, any shampoo will work. Baby shampoo does not cause eye irritation. Pricewise, it is a lot cheaper than defog.

Agreed. It may be this year's most discussed topic, followed by the perennial favorite "what do you wear under your wetsuit" at which point scubaboard contributors become fashionistas.

Back
Top Bottom