Baby shampoo *is* the best defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the baby shampoo camp! 1:1 diluted!
Also, it also depends on the mask!! I got an cheap aqualung mask that just fogged up like hell !! My instructor recommended me getting a cressi bigeye as in a real diver mask vs snorkeling type of mask. This made a huge different! In combination with the spray... I never have a fogged mask again, during ANY point of the dive. Works like a charm!

I never knew this. I use baby shampoo to rinse out the BC. I've been using the commercial stuff (Sea Drops) in the pool. I find spit at times doesn't work as well, especially in the pool. Most times it's fine for the ocean. I must try the shampoo--I assume you wipe it very dry--so no soap bubbles come when you are clearing the mask?

we bought one bottle of commercial stuff and when we smelled it we knew is baby shampoo, used that ever since, we do dilute it though
no need to dry it, just rinse it off
neither one of us had any soapy bubbles, ever

---------- Post added June 1st, 2014 at 09:40 PM ----------

I've stuck with what nature gave me. Have tried defog, didn't like it and it was something piddly one hD to deal with. Have tried baby shampoo, still makes my eyes red and sore. So after trial and errors, I'm happy with mother nature and you can be happy too because I never ever put my mask in the communal rinse bucket.

OK...how the heck is that? why is it getting in your eyes???

2 stages to mask defogging - 1 you do when its new and periodically throughout the life and one before each dive.

With a new mask rubbing toothpaste (MUST be paste not the new gels) in *HARD* on the inside and rinse works OKish. Better is if you have access to a dishwasher to give it a few cycles in there. The best ive found is heat the inside with a lighter (burns off the oil), THEN toothpaste to remove the black. From my experience this will keep it mist free for longer before needing redoing than the other 2.

The immediately prior to a dive it's time for spit. I've yet to see a commercial defog that actually works any better than spit (im convinced its a money making scam). Spit in both, rub in, HARD, brief rinse and off you go. Licking can help but sadly if you end up with a mask that fogs underwater then licking it during a dive doesn't seem to do anything. Neither does rubbing sand furiously into it.

t4e, I've no idea how or why it makes my eyes sting. All I know is that when I went back to spit, my eyes quit stinging and being sore and red throughout my trip.

I burn off the crap from the factory, then use toothpaste. Before the dive I use spit. I'm too cheap to buy defog!

I never knew this. I use baby shampoo to rinse out the BC. I've been using the commercial stuff (Sea Drops) in the pool. I find spit at times doesn't work as well, especially in the pool. Most times it's fine for the ocean. I must try the shampoo--I assume you wipe it very dry--so no soap bubbles come when you are clearing the mask?

My Girlfriend put me onto this too, to my cost I didn't believe her brought some commercial stuff and it failed - had to admit she was right which pained me!!

But to your question, I rub it on a dry mask - I do it when I pack the gear as well - but a minimum of 10 mins or so. I just invert the bottle onto my finger and that enough to rub in then i give a little rinse out with fresh water poured into the mask and swilled about - if you get bubbles do it again. the trick is not to over wash. Do it before each dive.

The only time I've had misting is when I've either put it on a wet mask or not covered the glass enough.

I have it in once of the small bottles you get snapoom in at hotels and keep it in my mask box.

Re Baby shampoo for washing the BC - what benefit do that give? (honest question as I may try it)

I've never had anything work better than my spit... and I'm willing to bottle it for those who want to try it! No eye irritation and probably better for the environment.

t4e, I've no idea how or why it makes my eyes sting. All I know is that when I went back to spit, my eyes quit stinging and being sore and red throughout my trip.

weird, the baby shampoo is not supposed to do that, you must have very sensitive eyes

weird, the baby shampoo is not supposed to do that, you must have very sensitive eyes

I know. That's why I blamed my sore red eyes on quite a few other things before cutting out the baby shampoo. I wouldn't have thought my eyes anymore sensitive than the next person's but there you have it.

Spit works well but never eat a Snickers just before de-fogging your mask otherwise your dive will be a bit more chocolatey and nutty than you might prefer.

If spit doesn't work then it just means you haven't prepared your mask well.

Toothpaste isn't a defogger! It is a preparation treatment that removes manufacturing greases from the lenses, once you've done that properly your spit will work. You can use toothpaste, a run through the dishwasher, a flame run over the lens or many other things but preparation is the key to getting spit to work.

Real divers use spit and they salivate at the sight of a mask :wink:

Back
Top Bottom