"Baby, light my fire!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

castanagajt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:mad:

As you all now know that I got out of the military a year ago and had to sell my gear for an embarrassing amount of money because I thought that there isn't a place to dive once I come back here also that my PADI Open Water Cert hasn't been completed and PADI doesn't have a record of me just because of a crooked PADI instructor didn't want to process my paper work.

Now, that a spark starts in my my mind to give diving another chance and some scuba shop had to slap me at my face about it and giving me second thoughts about diving again.

Well, here is how the chain of events went. My brother "Jonas" and I went to
GR8DIVN Dive Shop around 1130am to extend a friendly hello and tell them that I am half way done with the SSI home study program also to buy an SSI Dive Log.

Just when I walked in there I just saw "dollars" on their faces when they saw my little brother. "Allan" asked me "When I will sign up for my open water course and how I will be paying for it debit or credit?" I replied "Not today, I am just half way on my book." Allan commented when you are ready for your open water, maybe we can outfit you with your total gear system."

This is when the trouble starts. I told him that I was already ahead of them in getting my total gear system and I ordered my total gear for $1,511 in SCUBATOYS.COM and can't wait for it to come in. He had an angry face on and muttered "you bought your gear online...great. So you come here to buy your equipment somewhere else and just get your training."

Then Tony jumped in and asked why I bought my gear from somewhere else. "I wanted Zeagle, it is a brand that I have seen in the military from time to time." He did not want to accept my answer. Allan butted in and said "He got fired in Sport Chalet and he should have bought Aqualung crap while you were there!" I don't care. Allan explains that it would take 4-6weeks for scubatoys to service my Zeagle gear and on the shop they can get their gear out in a day. Allan also said "Bring your total gear system in so that we can inspect that your gear is worthy for open water." I am aware of the turnaround time and still stood my ground.

In the back of my mind i thought with careful planning before my annuals, a few weeks delay for shipping and turnaround will not be a problem.

Vickie comes and talks to me in a pissed off mood and says that they will charge me 350.00 for the class from 300.00 even though I didn't buy my snorkel setup. "I am charging you 350.00 instead of 300.00 because I thought you were going to buy your total gear system from us, this is your consequence and I hope you learn from it!" In fact, I am going to pay 250.00 because I bought my study materials from them.

Ron all he said that he can't believe that I did not buy my gear from a real dive shop. All I can sum up from each one of them; Allan, Tony, Ron, Vickie was "GET OUT OF OUR STORE!"

Welcome to GR8Divn.Com

I thought once my training is all done and over with it would be 372.00 plus what ever accessory I may buy and that I told them that I will do my specialty courses through them will make me a loyal customer.

I am not sure of their intentions in belittling me and try to make a fool of myself in my decision to buy my gear from SCUBATOYS.com. I see it as that I wanted Zeagle, they did not carry Zeagle and I am not interested in spending $2200 plus and 7.8% state tax for a scubapro knighthawk with a fancy gray whistle, Sherwood Wisdom 2, some octo, scubapro mk25 s600. Decent deal just too spendy for my blood.

My gear is $1,511 for Zeagle Brigade, Sherwood Wisdom 2, Zeagle Flathead reg set, Zeagle envoy octo. That sounds like a much better deal with the limited lifetime free parts for my regulator and BCD also 3 year free parts for my Sherwood from Scubatoys. All I pay for is shipping and handling and 50.00 for labor charge.

Post here and we would all want to hear your input about this issue. I thought that welcoming potential divers to this sport is foremost than all. Respect "To each his own" policy and treating the customer, right the first and every time.

Last edited:
The only way I would do my course with those people was if they were the only dive shop in a 100 mile radius. There is no excuse for behaving that way.

I wouldn't do a course with them period. They wouldn't see any more of my money, or me again. This was my response to 1 of the LDS many years ago. Mind you I did have 3 others to chose from.

It's none of their business who you buy your gear through
You're paying them for their services (training) and should behave professionally. You shouldn't have to make 'promises' to a shop about further courses just to placate them... you're the customer!!
I'm with the rest... i wouldn't bother training with them, or buying anything from them, or getting fills from them.

I'd find another shop...

A quick search turned up quite a few other shops in Vegas: Neptune Divers, ScubaViews, Dive Las Vegas, etc. I know *nothing* about any of these, however, the fact that there is competition gives you more wiggle room to be selective.

Good luck, dive safe.

Thanks bud, I looked up all of them from what you have mentioned. All does PADI I will keep on searching before I must throw in the towel and go back with them. It's sucks that I want to go for SSI but I had to be treated like a piece of trash in the process.

That's terrible. I hate places that are like that. I'd say switch to PADI. It'll probably be a cheaper course.

Why are you so dead set on SSI that you would even endure poor treatment and insults? In the big picture, unless you intend to be an instructor for that agency it doesn't matter squat where you get your OW. And even then you can always cross over later.

don't be pushed away from SSI training because of the attitude of the dive shop. There's probably another SSI training facility nearby. I've found when in a dive shop not to mention where you get your gear from. If they ask, say anything but the internet.

Don't walk but run to another store
If you're set on SSI both of these are SSI according to SSI's site
DESERT DIVERS
5720 E CHARLESTON BLVD
LAS VEGAS
and
COLORADO RIVER DIVERS
1321 NEVADA HIGHWAY
BOULDER CITY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom