B.S. Rule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Intro divers in doubles have a worse safety record than intro divers in single tanks. The whys are debatable.

I don't think it is an 'intro thing' but a 'doubles thing'..... i.e. not able to comfortably manage shutdowns......

But this is a different discussion. OP asked why no doubles at Ginnie... answers were given.

No, not quite... Just saying, if we want to discuss the why's and hows of doubles in caves a new thread would make sense.

Safety is not inherent in any configuration, nor any amount of gas, but in your ability to use it effectively.

Ah , PRUDENCE !!!
Part of my pre-dive prayer...(keep me Prudent , ALWAYS PRUDENT)

Anyway , Agree with ya.
Kind of the HUMAN factor. :D

OK , nuff said by the Beano.
I outta here , time for my Deco stop.

Silt Slug

I took my Cavern in Double's and I plan on doing the rest of them in Doubles as well. And what Perron said. If you can't do what you were trained to then you don't need to be there anyway. I don't have a problem doing what I was taught.

Intro divers in doubles have a worse safety record than intro divers in single tanks. The whys are debatable.

I wonder how the numbers compare with Intro divers using single tanks vs Intro divers using doubles. If I were to guess, without any factual information to back it, I'd say a greater majority of Intro divers use doubles. If that is the case, it would make accidents while in doubles more common.

It'd be nice to know how many accidents were avoided due to the additional reserved provided by doubles.

It'd be nice to know how many accidents were avoided due to the additional reserved provided by doubles.

This is impossible to trace. Not everyone who has an 'extreme learning experience' is going to report that.

That comment about intro on doubles having a worse safety record than intro on singles is crap at best. It all depends who is tracking these records and what parameters are used....... did they die, have a near miss, ran out of gas, got lost and gas saved them etc, etc. No one is tracking that to the best of my knowledge, so let's not pretend we know.

I'm not pretending to know, just thinking out loud. Its a public forum, I'm allowed to do that :wink:

I'm sure that in the great majority of accidents that happen to Full Cave certified divers they are wearing doubles.
Obviously doubles should be banned.

Maybe Open Water divers should not be allowed to use an Octopus.If they only had a single reg they would be less tempted to dive beyond their certification level.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom