B/P Wing question for cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlawler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently completed Cavern and am getting ready to schedule Intro as soon as I do some equipment upgrading. My question is: will a Transpac with soft backplate fulfill all of my needs for the forseeable future or should I just go ahead and get a Transplate setup with a backplate? I plan on twinning a pair of E7-100's to start and may go up to a set of E8-119's later on. Which wing should I get so I won't have to upgrade that later? Also does anyone have an opinion on E7-120's? I've heard from some divers that they are not popular due to their height.

diversolo:
I recently completed Cavern and am getting ready to schedule Intro as soon as I do some equipment upgrading. My question is: will a Transpac with soft backplate fulfill all of my needs for the forseeable future or should I just go ahead and get a Transplate setup with a backplate? I plan on twinning a pair of E7-100's to start and may go up to a set of E8-119's later on. Which wing should I get so I won't have to upgrade that later? Also does anyone have an opinion on E7-120's? I've heard from some divers that they are not popular due to their height.

Depending on which agency you plan to certify through, you might be better off going with a true backplate/wing/single-piece harness setup.

e.a.e.

diversolo:
I recently completed Cavern and am getting ready to schedule Intro as soon as I do some equipment upgrading. .

If I might suggest maybe make a couple of dozen cavern dives at different locations before doing intro,and have a chance to see the different types of gear first hand and being used in the water. You'll be able to make a better decision and not regret buying something that didn't suit your needs,plus you'll get some valuable experience that can make for a better intro class.

diversolo:
Karstdvr made a good post, his advice is excellent, but unfortunaely it did not directly answer your question. My advice is first to listen to Karstdvr, but if your heart is set on buying gear then here goes.

I use a Deep Sea Supply plastic backplate. In fresh water you will almost certainly not need any extra weight and this plate has a center channel of stainless steel to help support the weight of large steel double cylinders. Many companies make Aluminum plates as well and almost any of these would serve you well.

For the harness on the plate I use a simple one piece "Hogarthian" harness. This thing is simplicity in and of itself. You will have plenty of gear to attach to the harness so having one that starts out so clean is a real bonus.

For cylinders, you have asked about the 100's, the 119's, and 120's. I have not used the 100's so I can offer no opinion. I have used Faber 95's doubled and these are really close to the size of the 119's. These are relatively short and if you are a tall male you may find that you get into a head down position too easily. If you are tall and want cylinders in this size range the 120's are a better choice. If you are considering the 120's I have used a pair of Genesis 120's and since I am tall these long cylinders make a better choice for me. If you are short then the 119's would be better. My cylinders of choice at this time for me are the E8-130's these are really close to the same height as a standard Aluminum 80, just a larger circumference.

If you already have a buddy for cave diving, or any sort of technical diving using doubles you would find gas planning easier if both of you use the same size doubles. But don't listen to me, listen to Karstdvr! If you are diving in cave country you can rent doubles in a couple of different sizes from Cave Excursions and other shops for somthing like $10 a day plus gas. Try before you buy, then when you buy you will already know how the tanks will affect your trim.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
If you are diving in cave country you can rent doubles in a couple of different sizes from Cave Excursions and other shops for somthing like $10 a day plus gas.
This is true, but it might be a good idea to beg/borrow/steal/buy regulators set up for doubles. When I first tried doubles, I didn't have the regulators, and a lot of really nice people had to jump through a lot of hoops to get regulators set up for doubles for me.

I am ~ 6' 1", and currently dive a set of HP 100's. These work OK for me, but could be a little better.

Concerning what karstdiver said, I took my cavern class over a year ago, and have done (just guessing) about 50 cavern dives since then. While I admit that I sure would like to "get to the next level", I am still able to find plenty to see & do inside of my current training level, and even more to perfect in the skill department.

My question is: will a Transpac with soft backplate fulfill all of my needs for the forseeable future or should I just go ahead and get a Transplate setup with a backplate? I plan on twinning a pair of E7-100's to start and may go up to a set of E8-119's later on. Which wing should I get so I won't have to upgrade that later? Also does anyone have an opinion on E7-120's?

My 2 cents. If you plan on using your setup for cave diving. I would lean away from the transpac. Consider a conventional backplate and harness. Their is a reason why 95% of cave divers use this setup. It works !!! As for doubles get something you can handle both in and out of the water. I guarantee if your getting into cave diving this will not be the only set of Dbl's you ever own !

here is what I have:
Dive Rite Delux Harnes w/alu back plate
two LP 108 w/isolator manfold
2 apeks DS4 1st stages
2 apeks ATX50 second stage with 7' hose on one
1 dive rite micro SPG

this is the standard configuration you see in FL cave country

the trans pak is for sidemount or open water

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info. I've decided not to go with the tranpac, but a traditional bp/w setup. Also, I agree that I should do a lot more cavern diving before I go to the next level. The cavern class I took actually just showed me how much I still need to work on things like trim and buoyancy control. I was diving with a new 7mm( thickest suit I've worn previously was 3mm) and it almost got away from me when it expanded between about 30ft. and the surface. I plan on getting a bit of practice in and then probably taking an NSS combo cavern and intro course since it won't cost much more than just the intro course and will help me hone my skills.

I don't know that I would characterize the transplate as "traditional", but do what feels best for you. Dive Rite DOES sell a traditional BP/W if you care to stick with that manufacturer.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom