B/C suggestions???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidget170

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been diving for a few years using rental equipment. Yuck. The BC's are always uncomfortable. I am going on a cruise this summer that stops in St. Thomas, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Antigua and Dominica. With all those opportunities to dive, I decided to buy some equipment of my own.

I am not very big (5'2" - 130lbs.) with a small curvy frame. Before I go buy the first thing that doesn't cut into my hips or bind my chest, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks, Gidget

Here are a couple that work well for many women - they are infinitely adjustable, so your size, height, and frame/build is no real issue. Guaranteed not to bind your chest - there is no chest strap. While the way they customize fit is one of their better attributes, they also offer other benefits as well, such as the ability to remove weight from your weightbelt and place it flat against your back; they adjust to different types of diving you may wish to experience; and in general they are worthy of your consideration. Run your cursor over the photos to see a larger image:

BC Systems | Halcyon Dive Systems

Halcyon Eclipse | Halcyon Dive Systems

Best,

Doc

a good backplate and wing system can be both lightweight and travel friendly or heavy to remove lead from one's belt.

A Backplate and wing system can be both very high quality and inexpensive or very high quality and also very expensive.

A good backplate and wing setup can/should be comfortable, form fitting, streamlined, and infinitely adjustable.

A backplate and wing can be a one time purchase that can be adapted for use in virtually every diving environment (except tight sidemount only caves).

A backplate and wing system can be used for single tanks, double tanks, or more tanks.

A back plate and wing system works equally well for technical and recreational diving.

I can go on and on if you like...

Check out:
Halcyon
Deep Sea Supply (DSS is on the boards)
Dive Rite
Hollis
Zeagle
Oxycheq
Salvo
FredT (on the boards)
Hammerhead
OMS

This doesn't need to get complicated, all these brands make components that are interchangeable with each other and several brands offer complete kits. Tobin at DSS is a great resource so I suggest you get him a call.

You would need to order:

1 plate (come in plastic, aluminum, or stainless, or even soft packs)
1 wing (come in a variety of sizes 30lbs or less is generally accepted for single tank use)
1 single tank adapter with 2 tank bands
1 hog harness kit: 5 D-rings (or more)
7 belt slides (or more)
5 yards or so of 2 inch webbing
a few feet of 1/8" bungee cord
1 belt buckle

here are some links:

Hogarthian System - Dive Gear Express

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs

http://www.omsdive.com/downloads/OMS_Continuous_Weave_Harness.pdf

YouTube - Threading a Backplate System

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

You can find some threads here on jackets vs a backplate and wing (BPW) which may give you some more info. I converted to BPW several years ago and put my teenage daughter in a BPW last year - she loves it. The two of us and four of my regular buddies dive (or have dove) using a combination of Dive Rite, Oxycheq, OMS, Halcyon, and DeepSea Supply(DSS) wings for various diving. I mention all of them because you can not go wrong with any of them - find what is best for you and your budget. If you go this route, I would suggest a simple harness rather than a deluxe or quick disconnect. There is less to go wrong and you can configure the harness the way you like. Also with your height, you may need a smaller backplate which I know DSS can help you.

I'll let someone else talk to you about jackets for ladies.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom