Avila Beach Victim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well "Dude" we have the right because number one we came from the sea, and we are the top predators on the planet, and we go into every environment, we use technology to do it, this is how we have reigned supreme, and we are perfectly in our right to use a device to drive predatory fish from locales that humans frequent, I think some people have watched too many Walt Disney movies and think GWs are you bestest buddies, there is nothing innapropriate about using a technology to prevent episodes like this, and imho it is an inevitable tech invention zeN

Well Dude, if we are in fact the top of the food chain then you wont mind swimming at Avilla Beach and other areas like that in an attempt to prove our superiority in that arena. We do in fact use technoligy to control or at least effect out environment. We have covered most inhabitable places with concrete, we have had a profound effect on the Earths atmosphere with our technology and its effects and if I were a scientist I imagine I could quote many examples of mans ability to improve on a defective planets ability to exist. In my humblest of opinions I believe that some things dont need our help or manipulation. Science is a wonderful thing in the right hands. If the ocean is a scarry place for some folks, perhaps they should stay a tad closer to shore.
Bill

Well it has nothing to do with being afraid to go into the ocean, I dive regularly and spearfish regularly which puts me in the highest risk category,
it IS intelligient and prudent to take measures to protect yourself in any dangerous environment, and using a technology to push predatory fish away from beaches, or an oil platform where commercial divers work, or in the case of shipwreck where survivors may find themselves in the water waiting for recovery it is completely justified, especially a technology that has no long term effects on sharks.
Another point. You suggest that people who would use such a technology are afraid of the ocean and shouldn't dive. Wow, that's profound, that's like telling a mountain man in the 1800s if you take your .50 cal Hawkins with you into the mountains you are just a scared foolish greenhorn and you shouldn't go into the woods. Sheesh, Liver eatin' Johnson woulda' scalped you for a religion like that:) zeN||

This is a link to an article on an Australian diver who was partially eaten and killed by a Great White. He was wearing an electronic "shark pod" which some argue was turned off prior to the attack. The mfg. argues the device was not being used to their specifications. The article goes on to theorize that even if it was turned on it may not have stopped a hungry Great White? What a dilema?
click Here for the article
:shades:

To drive all sharks away from shore would be a sad application of technology IMHO. I've always (so far) enjoyed the dives I've done with sharks, although no great white has dared to show its snout when I'm in the water (yet)!

Humans, whether they be divers or swimmers or kayakers or surfers (I do all but the latter), must realize we are entering another ecosystem where we are no longer the apex predator. If that bothers you, don't undertake activities that could put you at mild risk.

Here on Catalina we no longer see the blue sharks or makos in the numbers I used to see them in my early days of diving. However with sea lion populations increasing over the years, we have great whites in our waters. We just don't see them very often (and my diver friends who have say they express mild curiosity but flee when approached).

I don't dive areas of Catalina which have poor vis and marine mammals (like the East End where the sea lions haul out). Of course it seems there is poor vis all around the island the past 3-4 months.

Dr. Bill

The truth is that unless you count the tools we use, we're not at the top of any food chain. What put us at the top of all the food chains is our abiltiy to use tools, at one point it was spears and blow darts, now it's shark pods....but a tool's, a tool.

One would hope that as our ability to create smarter, more efficient tools develops, our ability to be wise in using them would as well. We haven't generally demonstrated this in the past....but hopefully, we're learing.

That being said, I don't know enough about the shark repelling technology out there to have an opinion on whether it should be used. I would be against any technology which would have long lasting effects on the sharks or their environment.

Peace,
Cathie

Well my point of view is if you say you don't have a fear of being eaten you are dishonest, it is a common primal fear among humans, probably based on our history of being hunted by other predators.
If you guys want to dive nekkid in the ocean and sing "I am Spartacus!" while the saner minority take along a shark repellant (future technology that is) as far as we are concerned it's Darwin at work, I'm sure those touchy-feely sentiments will provide you some comfort (as you become fish food; then maybe again, it's you guys who shouldn't swim in the ocean?) zeN||) :mean:

My wife has been bitten by one a few times, or should I say every chance I get....

I envy people who are not concerned. I am usually more concerned while sitting at home, but don't really think about it while in the water. That is until I see a half of a large bird on the bottom with teeth marks in it, while I am diving the western channel islands. Lets face it, not many things are more intimidating than a Great White. And not many things are as sneaky, fast, hungry, aggressive, and ugly.

Sooner or later, if you dive the west coast, you are going to play with the seals. They are too cool to ignore, in fact they won't let you ignore them sometimes. I don't think it is "asking for it" to do so. My condolences to her family, but there is a thin silver lining. She passed while doing something she loved. There is something to be said for that...

:guitar:

but it doesn't mean I want to drive yet another animal away from its home and its food source. I put it on par with people who live in the desert to enjoy the quiet and the sounds- then leave their small pets outside overnight and wonder why they were eaten by coyotes or mountain lions. DUH! You're going into something's natural hunting grounds!!!!! Same with the sharks- you gotta expect it once in a while.
It is dangerous, but then again, if you look at the sheer numbers of people swimming in these waters around the world, it's actually a bit surprising that there aren't more incidents like this. I think it says a lot about sharks in general. (Especially when talking about 15' Great Whites off the west coast- where there are a LOT of swimmers and divers.)
Let's allow some of the creatures on Earth thier own habitat for once, especially since we'll all only be visitors to this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom