Avila Beach Victim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really though, garbed in black, fins and mask, and swimming on the surface, on a regular basis is begging a fish to take a bite at you sooner or later zeN||

That's our local beach. Very popular with sunbathers and body surfers. I feel for the kids who witnessed it also. I'm curious to find out if authorities find details of the species. Great whites aren't unheard of in the central coast area. Avila Beach is a sandy beach, located in a large cove. The visibility is usually very poor.
Condolences

The morning news just ran a clip that highlighted the personal side of the victim. It paints a face to the tragic story.

It's my understanding that harbor seals were closeby, and misidentification could have been a factor.

...where they had an expert on shark wounds present at the autopsy. Estimates a Great White between 15-18 ft.

Man.

I for one support the development of a technology that keeps sharks several miles off shore for the safety of humans, it's only a matter of time before such a technology takes place zeN

zeN|| once bubbled...
I for one support the development of a technology that keeps sharks several miles off shore for the safety of humans, it's only a matter of time before such a technology takes place zeN

And if that technology drives the fish off of the reefs. . . .?

that you're being sarcastic!!!:wacko: (PLEASE tell me you are.)

As much as the potential of monstrous sized sharks mistaking me for dinner scare the bajeebers outta me- I would never want to see such technology used to in essence starve the poor guys.

Now, as far as stabbing your buddy- I have to concur. One must be discreet in these matters.:mean: :D

A quote from one of the online articles on this unfortunate tragedy:
"Her friend on the beach noticed she was swimming with some seals," All of a sudden, the seals dispersed rapidly and a large breach of water, this large upwelling of water, occurred in the vicinity of where the woman was swimming. Very indicative of a shark attack." A 911 caller told a dispatcher that a witness saw "a large fin in the water" and that "something" attacked the woman twice, according to the Sheriff's Department.
That area is Great White turf and one would think they should know not to be swimming with or hanging around seals as they are appetizers for those bad boys.
We had a resident here on Maui swim far offshore to experience being in the presence of a whale birthing. A Tiger Shark took a chunk out of her but fortunately she survived.
People's lack of understanding of the ocean and its inhabitants never ceases to amaze me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom