Average water conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Killerflyingbugs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So, what are your average water conditions were you dive at: Visibility, water temp, and current (if any)?
Also a round about location don't have to be exact.

Down here on the inside reef the average vis is 20-30' temp 78 and the current usually less than 2 kts This is off Big Pine Key ether side of hawks channel.

Where I live we have seasons under water. Local water temperatures are normally around 19C during the summer months. We do a lot of training in the 12 to 19 and back to 12C temperatures. In a 7mm wetsuit these temperatures can be tolerated well.

In the winter months (end of december to march) water temperatures will drop to nearly freezing. Normal water temps at that time of the year will drop as low as 2C and the lowest I've ever seen on the computer was -2C.

At this point everything is dead or dug in to the bottom and the visibility is at its best. Vis in the dead of winter will be as much as 10m depending on where you dive. In the summer, viz at *good* sites is about 5m (normally 3m) and at *bad* sites is hand-to-nose.

R..

Nova Scotia East Coast:
Average Viz: 10-20' (but can range from 0-40').
Water temp. Usually 60+ Aug./Sept. (but rarely over 70) down to near freezing Jan.-April.
Current: slight tidal, not noticible unless going against it mid tide.

monterey/carmel
vis 5 to 40+ ft, average 10 to 20 ft
water temp 46 to 65F (8 to 18C). Average 52 to 56F (11 to 13C)
ocean swells frequently, not much current.

I dive mostly in Boynton Beach, FL. The conditions are very variable. The water temp can be as low as high 60s, low 70s, to as high as mid 80s. The visibility can be as low as around 20 feet, or as as good as nearly 100 ft, but is usually somewhere in between. The current is usually North but sometimes South, and somewhere between nothing and ripping. All the reef diving is drift. The Boynton Inlet can be tough when the seas are up

Here in MT viz ranges from zero to forty feet depending on what lake or river you dive. Water temps during the winter range from low to high thirties, depending if we get a cold winter or not. During the summer temps above the thermocline can reach low sixties; below the thermocline temps range from low forties to high forties, depending on elevation.

Puget Sound ... water temps vary from mid-40's in winter to mid-50's in summer. Vis varies, typical, from 30+ feet in winter to 2-10 feet in summer, when the plankton's blooming. Our best sites are current-sensitive, and you learn from the get-go to use tide and current charts when planning when and where to dive. And although we have some nice charters here, and some of the best sites are only boat-accessible, there's plenty of shore diving ... much of it relatively close to major population centers. I have a nice dive site less than 3 miles from my home, at which I've done hundreds of dives ... and still having tons of fun diving on a regular basis.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom