• 0.8-0.89 cu ft/min, 22.6-25.4 l/min

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • 0.9-0.99 cu ft/min, 25.5-28.2 l/min

Votes: 10 1.2%
  • greater than or equal to 1.0 cu ft/min, 28.3 l/min

Votes: 15 1.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I think this thread provides some interesting scientific discussion, I haven't seen the practical value clearly drawn out for Basic OW divers. It seems like we've become overly fixated on compiling data without extrapolating and consolidating some useful conclusions.

Call me crazy but it seems like this has really just been a sophisticated backdrop for a few of us to boast about our low RMVs.

For all the new or returning divers out there, your high consumption rate is going to come down with time. If you end up with an average or even a high RMV, you can still be a great diver and perhaps even better than those who need to frequently remind us of their low RMV.

How do I know this? Because context matters.

Going underwater and videotaping myself wiggling a fin once in 10 minutes of footage while doing absolutely nothing over the course of the whole dive may still count as a dive. However, an incredibly low RMV means nothing in this setting. I don't see this as a remarkable accomplishment or reflective of any advanced skill other than proper buoyancy control. Bragging about a low RMV with this sort of dive profile means, in reality, I'm not truly advanced.

If I primarily go on single tank recreational boat dives drifting along at shallow depths and face no other challenge than an occasional ankle kick for direction, the value of my stellar RMV is minimal. At 50-60 minutes I have to surface anyway to keep the charter's schedule on time. So, if you see me as the last diver to climb the ladder and then subtly go about weenie measuring over my remaining gas or come blab about it here in the forum like I'm some kind of ace diver, you can safely conclude that I'm just dorky. Talk about sketch material tailor made for a Mr. Bean skit.

If I go on a dive with a DPV and then brag about my low RMV, I may get an A+ for enthusiasm but a C- for experience. Of course my RMV is going to be low! I'm only fooling myself that I have some kind of superb physiology or extraordinary talent. Extraordinary talent to bullsh*t perhaps.

So, the reality of the dive profile and "work" conditions are important context.

If the same folks who blab about their low RMV share episodes of diving under more challenging conditions where actual work was involved while still maintaining a low RMV, then maybe there's a greater skill lesson or general fitness plan to be passed on.

Knowing your various rates like @VikingDives does represents to me useful and seasoned experience. Does anybody on here think a diver like that gets on the boat or forum and tries to impress everyone with his RMV?

Yeah, not likely.

So, what's my point?

Don't get lost in the data of this thread and take it with a grain of sea salt. Of course I endorse doing the math to determine our RMV and understand it but I DON'T think any of us should get discouraged because of an average or high RMV.

To get the most out of the tank on your back and the lungs in your chest, focus that thinking muscle between your ears on the following:

1) Buoyancy control - when you don't control this well, you're moving about to compensate and increasing your consumption
2) Trim (body attitude and streamlined equipment) - this improves your hydrodynamic efficiency - airplanes don't have danglies
3) Breathing - "belly breathing" is a runner's term and diaphragmatically-induced breathing is a more precise descriptor
4) Propulsion - there are more efficient kicks than others - learn the frog kick and you'll significantly reduce your consumption
5) Awareness - self (use #1-#4 above), others, sub-surface conditions, surface conditions, crew, etc - think ahead to reduce stress

Pick one skill objective each dive and work on that. Don't try to improve everything at once.

I do think RMV becomes truly important when planning and executing technical dives. We're no longer on a 50 minute charter boat leash or in shallow depths. Establishing our average potential range is critical to ensure we (more than one diver) accomplish the primary and secondary dive objectives.

To be clear, I was very intentional about establishing a useful-to-me baseline RMV rate under real work conditions over multiple hours and continuous exertion. I'm very average but I don't care because my confidence is derived from doing much more than floating.

I have no idea what my RMV is on a single tank recreational dive because I don't care. I'm there to have fun, not take the fun out of diving.

...To get the most out of the tank on your back and the lungs in your chest, focus that thinking muscle between your ears on the following:

1) Buoyancy control - when you don't control this well, you're moving about to compensate and increasing your consumption
2) Trim (body attitude and streamlined equipment) - this improves your hydrodynamic efficiency - airplanes don't have danglies
3) Breathing - "belly breathing" is a runner's term and diaphragmatically-induced breathing is a more precise descriptor
4) Propulsion - there are more efficient kicks than others - learn the frog kick and you'll significantly reduce your consumption
5) Awareness - self (use #1-#4 above), others, sub-surface conditions, surface conditions, crew, etc - think ahead to reduce stress...
Hi @NothingClever

Thanks for your very thoughtful post. Though discussed previously, your list of the determinates of gas consumption is a good, concise reminder.

Gas consumption is just one useful piece of information for divers, keep things in perspective and enjoy the diving :)

So, the reality of the dive profile and "work" conditions are important context.
Very good point. RMV is not portable from diver to diver, or in many cases even dive to dive.

My "average" is probably on the higher side mainly due to the type of diving that I do. It's been a real long time since I did a dive that was just a dive. The value of knowing RMV is for the diver to know what to expect in different conditions. Just looking through my log, my range from highest to lowest RMV is just under 1.0 cu ft / min. That's just the difference between a relatively low activity (for me) and high (short dive swimming a 22lb anchor and chain up). Those are absolutely extreme ends of my typical dives. My average dive is only really average for me and is fairly consistent in the 0.6 cu ft range. Sometimes a little lower, sometimes a little higher. But these dives will often involve some amount of work, as they are usually hunting dives.

Comparing my RMV to a diver drifting along a reef would be inappropriate.

More than 66,000 views, 824 votes in the poll

1723901207454.png
1723901331062.png

The median, mode, and weighted average remain 0.5-0.59 cu ft/min or 14.2-16.9 l/min.

If you have not voted in the poll, please consider doing so. If your average RMV has changed, please change your vote.

Take care, good diving

More than 67,000 views and 830 votes in the poll.

1725802135733.png
1725802152693.png

The median, mode, and weighted average remain 0.5-0.59 cu ft/min or 14.2-16.9 l/min.

If you have not voted in the poll, please consider doing so. If your average RMV has changed, please change your vote.

Best of diving to all

Last dive was a drysuit dive. RMV calculated out to 0.91 cuft/minute. The rate is slowly coming down a bit. I hope to get things really sorted once my drysuit arrives. The consumption rate in Mexico in early November will probably be very different.

68,000 views and 836 votes in the poll

1727604894915.png
1727604912961.png

Good diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom