Average depth finder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the cheapest device out there (bottom timer or entry level computer) that will display average depth? Any suggestions?
IIRC, my old Suunto Mosquito would do this. (In fact I probably still have it somewhere in a box)

UTD has a depth averaging table that they use to do multi-level diving without using a computer. The NDLs on this table are not what you see on regular PADI or Navy tables. Instead the NDLs have been reduced / modified so that a variety of average depth prfiles can be applied to it. It is a rolling average where every five minutes you take an average depth reading and subtract the bottom time from the average depth NDL on that table. As mentioned earlier this is to be matched with standard gasses and pre-determined ascent rates.

Radically different approach to planning your dives. I am not UTD (other than Essentials) so I have no formal training or practice with depth averaging. I was looking to do some real dives wearing both a technical computer and depth averaging bottom timer to see what kind of variations I am getting as to available NDL time.
So....your plan is to use a computer during a dive to tell you average depth so you can use some tables so you don't have to use the computer?
And if your NDLs are different, which do you believe and use?

You are gonna use (trust) a computer to calculate a weighted average for your depth and then take this information and do mental math to calculate your ascent protocol... why.. because computers and electronics and their associated calculations are not to be trusted? LOL It just seems so bizarre to me.

It is a part of a dozen or so experimental / test dives I plan on doing this winter. Testing a few profiles generated by conventional US navy tables against depth averaging tables against Buhlmann with gradient factors.

This is not how I would usually dive :)

It is a part of a dozen or so experimental / test dives I plan on doing this winter. Testing a few profiles generated by conventional US navy tables against depth averaging tables against Buhlmann with gradient factors.

This is not how I would usually dive :)
Are you using UTD's NDL/Min Deco Table?
Depth : NoStop Time
40'/12m 170min
50'/15m 60min
60'/18m 50min
70'/21m 35min
80'/24m 30min
90'/27m 25min
100'/30m 20min
110'/33m 15min
120'/36m 10min
130'/39m 5min

The NDL/NoStop Times above for Air are similar to the conservative HUGI Table 1.
Written in my wetnotes & memorized, along with the UW 330m BT as back-up to my dive computer (Petrel2).

If you fiddle around with it, my Perdix will show Buhlmann deco and average depth at the same time.

My puck pro shows average depth. It is part of the standard logbook display. You can also choose to have it displayed during the dive. I bought mine new this summer for $170 from leisure pro.
I don't think the regular puck shows any form of average depth.

Back
Top Bottom