Average depth finder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? How would you use that information?

One agency still teaches something called ratio deco. It's a technique that allows the diver to ball park the necessary stops and NDL's provided a couple of parameters are met. (1) the diver needs to know his/her average depth and (2) the technique only works using certain gasses.

The information is also necessary if you want to calculate your SAC (surface air consumption). The SAC is interesting data to have for planning purposes. Obviously for this you do not need the average depth during the dive.

I fully agree with dumpsterDiver. If you are using a computer you definitely do NOT need to see average depth displayed during the dive. For someone doing ratio deco it's possibly useful but the number of divers using this technique is small and for good reason.

R..

One agency still teaches something called ratio deco. It's a technique that allows the diver to ball park the necessary stops and NDL's provided a couple of parameters are met. (1) the diver needs to know his/her average depth and (2) the technique only works using certain gasses.

The information is also necessary if you want to calculate your SAC (surface air consumption). The SAC is interesting data to have for planning purposes. Obviously for this you do not need the average depth during the dive.

I fully agree with dumpsterDiver. If you are using a computer you definitely do NOT need to see average depth displayed during the dive. For someone doing ratio deco it's possibly useful but the number of divers using this technique is small and for good reason.

R..

This.

This what?
You want to calculate SAC during the dive? Or you want to do RD? Or both?

Both. I already have two dive computers. They do not show average depth during the dive. A separate average depth display would be nice to have on some dives.

A separate average depth display would be nice to have on some dives.
During the dive or after the dive? The latter is easy; most software I've seen will do it.

I need the depth average during the dive.

sell any or all of your computers and buy a used shearwater. They all will display it during the dive...

You know I was SO thinking along these lines.

Sorry, what do you use it for?

UTD has a depth averaging table that they use to do multi-level diving without using a computer. The NDLs on this table are not what you see on regular PADI or Navy tables. Instead the NDLs have been reduced / modified so that a variety of average depth prfiles can be applied to it. It is a rolling average where every five minutes you take an average depth reading and subtract the bottom time from the average depth NDL on that table. As mentioned earlier this is to be matched with standard gasses and pre-determined ascent rates.

Radically different approach to planning your dives. I am not UTD (other than Essentials) so I have no formal training or practice with depth averaging. I was looking to do some real dives wearing both a technical computer and depth averaging bottom timer to see what kind of variations I am getting as to available NDL time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom