Availability of Similan Islands Liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameseg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning a trip for late March/early April and Thailand is high on the list. Would combine a Similan Islands liveaboard with land-based activities in other regions. Before we spend too much time figuring out travel logistics, does anyone know how easy it would be to find availability on a good boat in late March? None of the websites I've seen have real-time availability. Is it too late to plan this type of trip?

Thanks,
James

Hi James, and glad to hear you are planning to make the long trip from Minnesota to Thailand to visit and dive! The short answer to your question is No, it's not too late to start planning a March/April trip. The longer response is that the season, while still fairly busy at that time of year, is beginning to wind down then, so that the boats aren't filling up for all trips, and you can still ponder your options for a little while longer. However, there are certain trips on certain boats that are already sold out, so the sooner you decide whether to come to Thailand or not, the more likely you will find a cabin on the boat that best suits you. For information on real time availability, you should rely on somebody on the ground here to make some phone calls on your behalf. The availabilities change dynamically every day, and the only way to get a true snapshot is to make a phone call.

On most trips you will still find availability, some trips are already fully booked though.

The more popular boats are booked out first, and these quite often but not always are the boats that offer best value for money.

So not too late to start planning.

Thank you to both of you for your responses. Great to hear we haven't waited too long to start thinking about this trip!

James

Hi Guys,

I just got back from a 4 days/3 nights liveaboard in the Similans with Khao Lak Explorer and it was amazing! If you're looking for a dive company that has a flexible schedule, maybe you can check them out. Friendly and professional staffs, good price, and very good food on board. I'm sure it's not too late to start planing now since many boats will always have availability.

hi everyone, i am also planning a trip to similans early april (around the Good Friday - Easter holidays period). i have 2 questions:

1. how will the diving be? from my research, the best times end in march, though i am diving early april

2. any recommendations for a 4 or 5 day liveaboard? or any recommendations for a reliable agent to help out with planning?

thanks alot!

Hey scubydooo, and welcome to ScubaBoard! Early April should still be good diving, so don't worry about that. The indications of better diving earlier in the season are often a question of visibility since the plankton in the water is a little more as the season progresses, though this year the water seems somewhat cooler, so the vis may continue good later into the season. We just have to wait and see!

Regarding your question about choice of boat, it depends a lot on your budget and what you want in terms of creature comforts on the boat. There are just so very many boats that we need to narrow it down somehow, and then your specific dates may make one boat more practical than another. Feel free to PM me for specific information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom