Australia Tanks in USA???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am an American on a work contract in Australia. This is the inverse of a previous post.

I have found a good price on new steel Faber 12.2 liter (100 cf) hp tanks in Australia. These do not have the American DOT markings but are labeled with the metric Australian (and perhaps European?) designations.

If I bring these tanks back to the US can I get them tested and filled or will they become high tech door stops?

With out DOT markings you can fill them with your own compressor (if you have one).
No dive shop will touch them.

Many well informed hydro station will test them and stamp the hydro date only, for export only. They will not stamp their full identification code number.

You can get them tested to DOT standards - but then there is something about a fool and his money parting ways. Otherwise door stop.

That said if you are down under for a while and you think you could sell them when you leave and get your moneys whorth go for it. I did that with of all things a washing machine while living in France.

By law, you can fill your tank and use it at YOUR pond or whatever you have ONLY in your property. Once you hit a public road with that tank, it is against a law...

They cannot - for a reasonable price - be tested to US DOT standards because they weren't documented to be made to these standards in the first place. The engineering, the factory, the steel/aluminum, etc.

Just buy new tanks here, it will be a whole lot less hassle.

Jeez, whatever happened to that ISO 9000 stuff? Its an Italian company manufacturing identical tanks god knows where. Then they stamp different markings on them based on the country of sale?

It all sounds a bit anal and inefficient to me.

FishDiver:
Jeez, whatever happened to that ISO 9000 stuff? Its an Italian company manufacturing identical tanks god knows where. Then they stamp different markings on them based on the country of sale?

It all sounds a bit anal and inefficient to me.
Sad but true. It's a wonderfully complex patchwork of international standards and laws at work.

Sell 'em.

Hi, I'm in Australia too. The tank market here is very perculiar - there are a few stores on the west coast selling 232 bar 100cf fabers for approx $300AUD. The same tanks sell on ebay in excess of $300, even when a couple of years old. Buy some tanks, use them, and flog them off just before you leave.

bigchrisb:
Hi, I'm in Australia too. The tank market here is very perculiar - there are a few stores on the west coast selling 232 bar 100cf fabers for approx $300AUD. The same tanks sell on ebay in excess of $300, even when a couple of years old. Buy some tanks, use them, and flog them off just before you leave.
You read my mind. I just placed the order.

Back
Top Bottom